El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dontknow:I have an fifth generation el camino with a 1972 454 in it. The egr valve is bad and I can't find a new one. My question is if I remove the egr valve do I need to replace the carburetor too? Or, can I just block off the egr valve. How will that effect the way the engine performs? I'm thinking maybe I need to replace the manifold and carburetor.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
You should be fine by just putting a block off plate on it. You might have to fabricate your own.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
There should be virtually no noticable effect in removing the EGR, there may be a slight rise in combustion chamber temperatures, since the function of the EGR was to reduce them, which may result in rare cases of pinging, which would be resolved most likely by simnply running the next highest grade gas.

Frankly even that seems unlikely to me.

no new carb, no new manifold required.

enjoy

·
Supporting Member
4,470 Posts
Removing is not an issue unless you are still running the ECM, in which case you may get a check engine light.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, this engine is not computerized, I think in 1972 it had an air pump, an egr valve and a pcv valve, and the charcoal canister. I blocked it off yesterday and it runs fine, but I have problems with the idle, it stalls quite a bit, I was hoping that would solve my problem, but it didn't.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you will see a slight increase in mpg with no egr,but otherwise will be fine.your motor will thank you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts