El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a rebuilt Quadrajet installed and tried to connect the EGR. I immediately started having loss of vacuum. Even the break buster was not working intermittenly. So I have a new EGR valve, new EGR solenoid, new carb and I have tripple checked that we were using the right timed vacuum port. (passenger side front, right at the base of the carb). The car also runs very badly with EGR connected.
What else could it be?

Jim

·
Registered
400 Posts
Have you attempted to block off the EGR port and see how it runs. If EC runs good w/o EGR then put EGR back on EC and run EC with no vacuum line to EGR. If EC runs good with no vacuum line to EGR then disconnect wires from EGR solenoid and determine whether solenoid is closed with no power to it (namely apply vacuum and see if it holds). If solenoid checks out then reinstall solenoid with wires disconnected and see how EC runs if it runs good then test carburetor port for vacuum only at part throttle (should have no vacuum at idle or full throttle b/c this should be ported vacuum). Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
sounds like the egr sonenoid is open. unplug the egr solenoid to see if it helps (wire plug) if not try the hose. i will look at my old engine to see how its hooked up

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you attempted to block off the EGR port and see how it runs. If EC runs good w/o EGR then put EGR back on EC and run EC with no vacuum line to EGR. If EC runs good with no vacuum line to EGR then disconnect wires from EGR solenoid and determine whether solenoid is closed with no power to it (namely apply vacuum and see if it holds). If solenoid checks out then reinstall solenoid with wires disconnected and see how EC runs if it runs good then test carburetor port for vacuum only at part throttle (should have no vacuum at idle or full throttle b/c this should be ported vacuum). Let us know how you make out.
Thank you, will do. The solenoid is new, but I don't think we checked it that way.

Jim

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
new only means new not good. if it idles and runs fine without the egr connected it is in its control system. i went through three egr solenoids before i got a good one from wells .you need to isolate which is causeing the issue

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
new only means new not good. if it idles and runs fine without the egr connected it is in its control system. i went through three egr solenoids before i got a good one from wells .you need to isolate which is causeing the issue
Where did you get your solenoids? The one I have on there now is NOS out of a place in CA.

Jim

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
IIRC there is 3 ports on the solenoid,,could it be hooked up backwards..:dontknow:

also the parts stores have tryed to sell me the wrong egr for a stock truck,,
(pos. pressure/neg. pressure something) i dont know what that means,,
i was told to run the number on the old original one.. goodluck Jim..:texas:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts