El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We tried to connect the EGR yesterday in my new crate 350. As soon as the cruck was started all sorts of bad things started happening. It was running very rough, it wouldn't decelerate properly and the brake booster was not working. At one point, I was at a stop light and it was running at 1200 rpm's and I had to stand on the brakes because the booster was not working. We put a ball bearing in the EGR vacuum line and everything is running find now, except, of course, after a few minutes the "service engine soon" light comes on.

My question is, how the EGR effects the vacuum and all of this other stuff?
(I'll just leave the ball bearing in there for now and may change the light bulb to green or go to a ZZ4 prom in the future).

Jim

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
You should be only running "ported" vacuum to the EGR. If it is connected to "manifold" vacuum, the valve will open at idle and give the symptom you describe.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be only running "ported" vacuum to the EGR. If it is connected to "manifold" vacuum, the valve will open at idle and give the symptom you describe.
It is connected to a port on the passengers side down near the base in front of the carb. Mechanic says it is ported.
I did notice today that the air cleaner vacuum hose and the purge valve hose were switched but that shouldn't cause those problems should it?

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts