Votes: 29 76.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance if I am posting this in the wrong section.

Okay, now I have found a 78-87 El Camino bed cap for sale. It is $125 not in the best shape but you know I've seen worse. So good deal or bad deal? Also do you think the bed caps look neat or aren't even worth the money?

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
I really like bed covers weather their snap on or hard shell.
As for yours, I need a little more info and a pic. would be helpful.
Thanks
Donny

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I said cap maybe the correct term is topper or camper shell I have no idea honestly. :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
I think you sould put it on and see if you like it. that will be the best if you want a wagon look then buy it. when i got mine it had one on it. i sold it for 20.00 to get rid of it and never regret it.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
To much IMO, I'd bet the rubber seal is no good and I see them on Craigslist for $25.00 to $50.00 all the the time. And yes thats a topper not a bed cover.
But if you like it then I'd say shop for a better price
Donny

·
Registered
668 Posts
The answer in my mind is another question: what do you want/need to do with it?

Are you in an area that gets a lot of rain?
Do you haul stuff in the bed that shouldn't get wet?
Do you leave stuff in the bed for extended periods of time?
Are crimes of convenience (theft) a problem in your area?
Do you simply like the way a top looks?

Answer those questions to yourself truthfully and you should have your answer. My feeling is that it's your ride, do it the way you love.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,585 Posts
I purchased a new topper/camper shell just like that one for $300 back in 1983 when I purchased a new El Camino . It was wonderful having it when needed . We did a camping/hiking 3 week vacation out west as well as several years of touring around Florida racing my Hobie Cat catamarans . Over the years I would use it occassionally for transporting things that were low profile and I did not want out in the wind or rain . There are others that are taller than this low profile model . I would remove and store it when not needed as it does not take much to remove it , except another person to help lift it off . When on , it does make seeing out the back a little harder and not very secure if you leave stuff in the bed . They are getting harder to find in good condition but if not cracked etc. , can be resealed and painted . Part of what it is worth to you , is if you can store it and will actually use it . As mentioned , they are occasionally available cheaper on the internet if it is close enough to pick up as shipping will cost you .

·
0 Posts
Dang! I cant reverse my vote. I voted without seeing the pic.:let_it_all_out:
Is there a HELL NO in the voting?

·
Registered
4,129 Posts

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
When i bought lumpy it had one on it. I have used it a few times and like it. Che k seal condition and windows cheers:beer:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts

Attachments

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Dang! I cant reverse my vote. I voted without seeing the pic.:let_it_all_out:
Is there a HELL NO in the voting?
X3
IMHO I think they're ugly on 5th gens. They don't seem to flow with the body lines and just look cheap and out of place.
But as somone above mentioned, if the plan is to only use as needed to protect cargo, then OK. But to leave it on all the time NO!

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Well, I have stuff in the bed of mine that was contained in a "custom" box under the rear window. It contained the battery, spare, tool box, jack, etc. The lid was 1/2" plywood, and extremely hard to handle (I'm 76). I put one on (low profile) that has a great seal, windows good, but one screen torn. The fiberglass needs to be refinished on the inside. There are four catches that keep it in place. I now have the lid and the front (back-facing) piece removed from the old setup. I'm extremely happy with it, and it cost me a trip to Forney and back to get it. About $40 in gas, so the price wuz rite!!!! I now need to take it back off to redo the fiberglass to keep it from peeling. I'll keep it on until it's time to take to the paint shop to put on the lower, tu-tone paint I want done. It' what an owner wants to do with their vehicle. Pro's and con's to anything.:twisted:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I do think I've decided to against it though wait for one to pop up in better shape and wait for more room to store it.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
4 to 1 against. This guarantees you will buy it! !:nanawrench:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I was thinking about getting a low profile topper because I carry a lot of baseball equipment all the time. I like the look but they are not secure enough. I'm now thinking about getting a Malibu wagon for carrying the gear. There's plenty of room and more seating. Put a cowl hood , tint the windows and nice wheels, heck you have a 4 door elky. So my vote is no to the tall cap style.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts