El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

This is my first post here on El Camino Central!

I have inherited a family heirloom of sorts. It was my father in laws car before he passed away from cancer in May of 2011. Previous to that, it was his father in laws car, who bought it new from the dealership. It is a 1984 El Camino Choo Choo.

Me and my father in law worked on this car between us for a while before he got sick, so we have done a lot to the vehicle. The motor and the transmission has been upgraded, as well as the rear end.

Nonetheless, I have a question for El Camino Central!

Where can I find a drop in plastic liner for the bed! :dontknow: I have looked everywhere for one, but to no avail. I would put in a spray in liner, however I plan on professionally restoring the outside of this el camino within the next 24 months. I would include the spray in bed liner at that time. I am just looking for one to hold me over.

Any Ideas? Thank you for the community!

-Martin

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
el camino bed liner

The drop-in bed liner that came out of my '84 had the brand name "Futurex". Other brands are out there including Nifty, Husky and Rugged Ridge. Check and see if you have a "truck store" in your area that handles lift kits, big tires, roll bars, etc. They may be able to locate one for you. Don't forget E-bay.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for the replies!

It seems like most do not make the bed liner anymore - Much like your research has found. I appreciate you looking into that, honestly, I would have never thought to even call! I will try to see if one pops up on craigslist or ebay. So far, none on there.

Thank you fellas
-Martin

·
Registered
401 Posts
I see used ECs on CL with bedlibers installed. If you really want one contact the seller and see if they will separate the bed liner for you for the right price. A couple of months ago up here in NJ there a was a guy with a brand new EC bed liner who was having a hard time getting rid of it (I checked its not on CL anymore).

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had one and am glad to be rid of it! They don't fit snug up at the top of the bed, and dirt gets under them. Then the bed liner shifts back and forth and the dirt wears the paint off the bed in spots. In my opinion, they are not worth the trouble unless you are planning on hauling a lot of cargo. I think mine cost a few hundred dollars years ago. Save the money toward the spray-in liner!

·
ZERO MPG
15,383 Posts
If your going to do it do it right Rhino 5 years and the only scratch was pulling my crate engine out. iT STILL LOOKS LIKE THIS.

I'm sold. good luck on your find.:beer:
Robert

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a spray on liner. I think it was a Sikens brand that we tinted to match the top of my Elky. Great product. There are other ones on the market, but I only know this one. My son picked it and used it.
He is an auto body tech.
elamott

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
NO ONE makes the drop in liner anymore and if they did it WILL promote rust. I had one in my new 84 and it did cause rust. I have a rubber mat in my 86 CCC and would never put spray in bed liner in it UNLESS the bed is beat up anyway. ALSO,be aware that the black rubber mat WILL turn the paint under it as it gets VERY hot during the summer. I put a reflective sheet of reinforced mylar under it and that helps a LOT ! My bed is as new so there was NO way I was going to spray a liner on it as its a pain in the arse they say to get out. Good luck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.