El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK New England Elky owners --

It's time to rev your engines and cruise to the track with other local El Camino's from all across New England for some laps around the 3/8th mile banked oval under the lights! Includes FREE ADMISSION for all drivers and their companion to watch the NASCAR modified races. Then, just before the feature event of the evening, we each get in our Elky and do parade laps around the oval in front of an enthusiastic crowd! Each driver and their car is introduced over the PA system to the fans while we are on the track.

Burnouts are not only welcomed, they are encouraged by fans and track management in front of the main grandstand at the end of the parade laps.

This is always a great time for those who have attended the last three years as we get to park in a designated fenced off area next to the gates before the races start. There we meet and greet, admire each others cars, and let the race fans admire our rides as well. It does not matter what condition your Elky is in, just show up and have fun! Beaters and daily drivers are welcomed as much as the show cars of El Bandito and Pro Street Garry.

Track management would like us to arrive at the track at as early as 5:00 PM on FRIDAY June 8, 2012, to line up in our area so that patrons and race crews can see our cars as they enter the gate. Races start at 7:00 PM. (If you cannot be there at 5:00 p.m., you can arrive as late as 7:30 and meet up with us before we go out onto the track around 8:00 p.m. or so.) Lee USA in about 30 minutes north of the MA/NH border off Interstate 495, going up Route 125 past Star Speedway and New England Dragway.

This is not a race amongst ourselves......we just line up and follow the Lee USA Pace Car around the track and show off our rides to the fans. For those who want -- and are able -- to do burnouts, they are encouraged to do so in front of the grandstands after we lap the track a few times. Those who don't do burn-outs can just exit the track and return to our parking area and watch the rest of the race card until closing. THIS IS FUN BY ALL....DO NOT MISS THIS NEW ENGLAND EVENT OF THE SUMMER!

Please let Rick Hapke (Crabman) or me know by email if you are planning to attend so we can send you any additional info about the event:
Contacts: [email protected] or [email protected]

Here are some links to pix from our last outing at Lee USA Speedway, along with info about the track:

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/galle...2_itemId=80979

http://www.leeusaspeedway.com/2011Schedule/tabid/451/Default.aspx

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
7 confirmed members so far...

Email notices of this event have been sent to all active NE members who have logged into ECC since 1/1/2009. As of Sunday night, 7 members have already confirmed they will be joining us. Our goal for this year will be to have 25 El Caminos on the track at Lee USA Speedway on Friday June 8, 2012. If you are planning to attend, please post a message here about where you will be driving from.

·
Executive Committee Board Member
727 Posts
I have heard nothing but great reviews about this fun night out at the races.

The opportunity to parade on the track has got to be a thrill and the opportunity to show the other race fans the strength and numbers of our club and to show off our rides... Lets DO IT guys

I am planning to take Friday off from work and take a nice (low & slow) ride up there - stay overnight and then take a different route home - maybe along the coast. Any guys from down south wanna join me ?

WHO ELSE is planning to make it ?

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
confirmed members for El Camino Night at Lee

As of April 7, the following members have stated they will be attending this event:

Ken Perigney, Salem NH
Dan Chute, NH
Mark Howard, Lynn MA
Tom Newman, Salisbury MA
Barbara & Greg Reynolds, Worcester MA
John Molloy, Revere MA
Tom Cambria, Plympton MA
Tom Fountain, Haverhill MA
John Harris, North Andover MA
Joe (royalcultband), Boston MA
Darryl, CT
DJohn Watkins, CT

As I get more confirmations, I will update this list each week. We already have more members coming than last year so it looks like this will be a bigger and better event than ever! Hope to see more of you sign up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I will check with my schedule keeper (lol) and make sure we have no plans that night. My Elky obviously cannot attend but i might take the BMW or her car a lowly sentra.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I would love to join you guys. It's a bit far from The Bronx, NYC though. But I am seriously thinking about it. Maybe leave early Friday morning and stay over that night. Then drive back on Saturday. Or is there more to do on Saturday and Sunday? Maybe make a weekend out of it.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The old sailing city of Portsmouth is only 30 minutes away and has lots of great restaurants, the old waterfront, antique stores, and some night life. 40 minutes to the south is Newburyport MA, right on the coast where the Merrimack River empties into the Atlantic Ocean. Very well restored waterfront community, shops, restaurants, inexpensive boats rides around the harbor and the inland waterways. Very historic place, scenic, friendly, and always jumping!

Tell your wife you are "taking her there for Saturday night fun, but -- oh by the way -- we will stop and see some friends Friday night on the way."

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
"Tell your wife you are "taking her there for Saturday night fun, but -- oh by the way -- we will stop and see some friends Friday night on the way."

John
Wouldn't have to. She already thinks it'd be fun at the track. She got pretty excited when I told her to drive the elky around the track. But she did want to know how fast she could go! On the other hand she loves cool old buildings and old villages. She really appreciates the architcture.
Wait a minute....this is starting to sound like more of a weekend for her than me!:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Five weeks to go until El Camino Night at Lee USA Speedway! Friday June 8, 2012

We now have 15 members who have confirmed they will be coming and hopefully more will be signing up shortly:

Ken Perigney, Salem NH
Dan Chute, NH
Ric Hapke, Salem NH
Mark Howard, Lynn MA
Angelo Vasta, Lynn MA
Tom Newman, Salisbury MA
Barbara & Greg Reynolds, Worcester MA
John Molloy, Revere MA
Tom Cambria, Plympton MA
Tom Fountain, Haverhill MA
John Harris, North Andover MA
Joe (royalcultband), Boston MA
Darryl, CT
DJohn Watkins, CT
Mike, CT

Here are a couple of hotels/motels where some members may want to stay after the races and visit the cities of Portsmouth NH or Newburyport MA on Saturday:

Pondside Motel, Epping NH 603-679-5318
Plummercrest Bed & Breakfast, Epping NH 877-777-1032
The Exeter Inn, Exeter NH 603-772-5901
Hampton Falls Inn, Hampton Falls NH 603-926-9545
Three Chimney;s Inn, Durham NH 603-868-7800

·
Administrator
7,009 Posts
Lookin' GREAT!

Looks like the momentum is building! It really must be a blast to drive the track under the lights - and then the burnouts!!. Looks like the event of the early summer for the NorthEast. Great work!.......................Ken

·
Registered
15 Posts
Lee speedway!

My son and I'll be there, had a great time last year (and the year before). He drives the 79 in black primer with the underglows, and I have the Black 80 Caballero. Have to toss a clutch into it in the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fast approaching 25 El Caminos for Lee USA Speedway on June 8th!

Rick Spence of Westport MA and Joshua Libby of Marblehead MA are planning to attend as well.

If you coming, please try to bring another friend who owns an el Camino.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would love to join you guys. It's a bit far from The Bronx, NYC though. But I am seriously thinking about it. Maybe leave early Friday morning and stay over that night. Then drive back on Saturday. Or is there more to do on Saturday and Sunday? Maybe make a weekend out of it.

Just south of the track in Merrimac MA on Staurday June 9th there is a biweekly car show at Skips in Merrimac Ma... It says 4 to dusk, but people usually start coming earlier... 2 or 3 PM... If it's a nice day 300 plus cars will probably be there.

This is from another site, so you might want to confirm before you make plans...
Merrimac, MA – Skip’s Snack Bar, Route 110, 4 PM to dusk, June 9 & 23, July 7 & 21, Aug. 4 & 19, Sept. 8 & 22

BTW, I'm going to see if I can get a few things done in order to get an inspection sticker on my '65. If I get it done in time I'll bring it to the track on the 8th.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts