El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got a knack for odd questions... So please bear with me...

I have an '82 El Camino, I'm trying to find out if there are any other frames that are more heavy duty I could put the body on.

Searching for wheelbase and track, I found this site: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Wheelbase,_track_width,_and_differential_measurements

It says the 5th Gen Camino's have a wheel base of 117.1, front track of 58.5, and rear track of 58.8

The closest thing on the list is:
117.9, 54.5, 54.7 -- '82-'93 Chevy S-10 standard cab, 89" box, '82-'93 GMC regular cab, 89" box

.8" is pretty close for wheelbase, but being 4" narrower (2" to a side) is a bit more off than would be feasible isn't it?

The GMC pickup is really what I'd like... I want to find one with a 6.2 or 6.5 diesel, a manual transmission, and, ideally, 4wd, but the last isn't a necessity.

Is there anything else known to be closer? Or am I dreaming bigger than reasonable? I realize no body swap is easy, but I'd really like to get my El Camino so that it can do heavy hauling. The simpler, and less expensive, the better...

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
first thing that occured to me was that a stock S-10 rear would work great for mini-tubs.

:beer:

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Box the center section of the elky frame. Get a set of g body station wagon springs and air bags and haul away. A lot easier than switching frames for very little gain.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
The elky is so light that I would make sure the trailer was balanced nice and had good working brakes on it. The problem is not pulling it or supporting the tongue weight but stopping it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The elky is so light that I would make sure the trailer was balanced nice and had good working brakes on it. The problem is not pulling it or supporting the tongue weight but stopping it.
Well, that's kinda why I was looking at putting a truck frame on it. But if the stock frame can take it, I suppose that it's easier to put better brakes on than do that swap. I'd still like to get a diesel in there, which would necessitate Hydroboost, which should help a little. Could put disc in the rear to help, maybe bigger brakes all-roind, but a trailer with brakes is a deffinate must.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts