El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've got a knack for odd questions... So please bear with me...

I have an '82 El Camino, I'm trying to find out if there are any other frames that are more heavy duty I could put the body on.

Searching for wheelbase and track, I found this site: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Wheelbase,_track_width,_and_differential_measurements

It says the 5th Gen Camino's have a wheel base of 117.1, front track of 58.5, and rear track of 58.8

The closest thing on the list is:
117.9, 54.5, 54.7 -- '82-'93 Chevy S-10 standard cab, 89" box, '82-'93 GMC regular cab, 89" box

.8" is pretty close for wheelbase, but being 4" narrower (2" to a side) is a bit more off than would be feasible isn't it?

The GMC pickup is really what I'd like... I want to find one with a 6.2 or 6.5 diesel, a manual transmission, and, ideally, 4wd, but the last isn't a necessity.

Is there anything else known to be closer? Or am I dreaming bigger than reasonable? I realize no body swap is easy, but I'd really like to get my El Camino so that it can do heavy hauling. The simpler, and less expensive, the better...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Box the center section of the elky frame. Get a set of g body station wagon springs and air bags and haul away. A lot easier than switching frames for very little gain.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
The elky is so light that I would make sure the trailer was balanced nice and had good working brakes on it. The problem is not pulling it or supporting the tongue weight but stopping it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The elky is so light that I would make sure the trailer was balanced nice and had good working brakes on it. The problem is not pulling it or supporting the tongue weight but stopping it.
Well, that's kinda why I was looking at putting a truck frame on it. But if the stock frame can take it, I suppose that it's easier to put better brakes on than do that swap. I'd still like to get a diesel in there, which would necessitate Hydroboost, which should help a little. Could put disc in the rear to help, maybe bigger brakes all-roind, but a trailer with brakes is a deffinate must.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What frame would be right for a 1985 El Camino? I wish I could find a 18 model or newer wrecked vehicle so I could have all the good brakes and engine and transmission so basically it would be an El Camino frame on a new car frame or pickup frame... Is that a strange thought?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I have an '82 El Camino, I'm trying to find out if there are any other frames that are more heavy duty I could put the body on.

Searching for wheelbase and track, I found this site: Wheelbase, track width, and differential measurements

It says the 5th Gen Camino's have a wheel base of 117.1, front track of 58.5, and rear track of 58.8

117.9, 54.5, 54.7 -- '82-'93 Chevy S-10 standard cab, 89" box, '82-'93 GMC regular cab, 89" box

.8" is pretty close for wheelbase, but being 4" narrower (2" to a side) is a bit more off than would be feasible isn't it?

The GMC pickup is really what I'd like... I want to find one with a 6.2 or 6.5 diesel, a manual transmission, and, ideally, 4wd, but the last isn't a necessity.

Is there anything else known to be closer? Or am I dreaming bigger than reasonable? I realize no body swap is easy, but I'd really like to get my El Camino so that it can do heavy hauling. The simpler, and less expensive, the better...

Thanks.
Sorry to be late to your question.
Go with what works best and you can get for the right price.

Never done an El like that but have done four “similar” things.

There will always be something to adapt to but I can tell by your research that you can figure doodoo things out if they appear.

Best of the day.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just buy a 3/4 ton pickup and save yourself the headache of converting. There is a reason that U-Haul requires a 3/4 ton pickup to be able to rent a car trailer, and it has to do with safety. A 1/2 ton pickup and El Camino are not HD enough to get the job done with a appropriate amount of safety. I know people do it but that doesn't make it right. Now if you put a 3/4 or 1 ton chassis under the Elco you are playing with the right stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

Searching for wheelbase and track, I found this site: Wheelbase, track width, and differential measurements

Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts