El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You gotta hand it to the El Camino Store (elcaminostore.com).

Based on appearances only, they appear to be a solid company that caters to the every need of us old Chevy owners. They manage a well-organized online store and printed catalogs.

But looks are deceiving.

My advice is to stay away. Far, far away.

My latest (and last) transaction with them went like this:

• Ordered a new fuel tank on 3/12.
  • Got an order confirmation the same day.
  • Order confirmation stated my shipping choice was "Ground - 3-5 days."
  • Fast-forward two weeks to 3/24. Haven't heard a peep, no emails, and no delivery.
  • Contacted customer service via email asking for status on the order.
  • Received reply: Hi, I apologize for any inconvenience. The part you ordered ( 11-0732) is on backorder with an ETA of 5-5-11. Thank you for your time and patience.
  • Sent reply expressing polite disappointment with this utter lack of communication. My reply was ignored.
  • Attempted to call El Camino Store to cancel my order. The phone was never answered during business hours.
There was no 'backorder' note in the item details, no update to the order to indicated the item was not in stock or backordered. No nothing. As if it is normal to expect to wait two months for a part.

Shopper beware.

There are better businesses out there we can turn to.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I will never order from them again. I order a shop manual from them and there was over a 100 pages that you couldn't read. Why do I want a shop manual that I can't read some of the schmatics. At least I did get a hold of customer support (more than one phone call to get a person) and they did allow me to return it and they even paid for return shipping. But never again.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I bought a new gas tank last Aug. from Bob's , it was delivered four days after I ordered it, when I contacted them 2 months later about my gas cap not going on tight and that I could smell gas when walking by the car they sent me a new gas cap within 2 days of my contact. I thought that was great service.

Mike

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've ordered from them a few times,and also had a few requests for them. They were always very helpful and went out of their way to help me out. As with every business,now and then there's a hangup.But I haven't had any problems with them.

·
Heavy Wrench
982 Posts
You would think even in this economy (unless your into oil) that businesses should make every effort for customers to fix problems -- don't they know that one bad rap gets more attention than a million satisfied customers??

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,676 Posts
They have been the pits sense the sale out, Eckler is just plain bad about most of there customer service.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
Thanks for the warning..:beer:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
You would think even in this economy (unless your into oil) that businesses should make every effort for customers to fix problems -- don't they know that one bad rap gets more attention than a million satisfied customers??

This post has been deleted due to the political naure of the comment. Politics are frought with bad blood because of auguments that get out of hand and nasty, along with other hazards. Let's try not to go there on this friendly Forum...................Ken

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok, so where do most of you feel is the best source for 5th Generation parts? Who has good service and a large selection of parts? So far I have only bought from Dixie Monte Carlo.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
I'll never order from them again. Same kind of issues with them on radiator support bushings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A little clarification on the " unless you're into oil" statement. I'm in the oil bidnuss and am feeling the pinch just like everyone else. If you want to use a broad brush to castigate a group and blame, aim it at the Nobama administration. The drilling moratorium is killing jobs all pver the gulf area. Blaming bad service on the oil industry. Is like saying all El Camino owners are rednecks. Ok, bad analogy. Btw, I've had good and bad service
from the El Camino store
Hey Jarhead, can i just hangout at your place?! I want to be like you when i grow up:You_Rock:

·
Registered
641 Posts
I was talking to my boss and reasoned that gas is cheaper now. He had to sell his 454 Vette when gas got to be $1/gal and he was making $1/hour at the time. Gas is roughly 1/3 of my hourly pay now and I'm doing the same work he was doing back then, hence gasoline is a third of the price now.

Anyways just so no one can blame me for hijacking a thread:
Wouldn't a specialized store like that do everything to keep in business? I mean, there are a finite number of el caminos in the world and that number keeps getting smaller.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey Jarhead, can i just hangout at your place?! I want to be like you when i grow up:You_Rock:
Bill, so you want to be short fat and bald?
but come on over anyways and help me build my deck.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts