El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, new to the forums.

This might seem kinda dumb and I don't know where to post this ...but here goes.

I found the topper / cap to an 1980's El camino yesterday, but the thing is I have not purchased the El camino. I was going to go this week and pickup a 1982 el camino
(wine interior grey exterior) but the sellers seem to be away (vaccation?)

My question is, how do you connect the topper/cap to the bed.
The cap / topper did not have an mechanisms attached to connect the two.
I just called the seller, he says the mechanism (some sorth of bolts/latches and a turn buckle?) should be connect to the bed.

Does anyone know what the real way to connect the bed and cap/topper?

Thanks so much!

Cheers,
Kevin H

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
on my topper there are j bolts that come from the corners of the topper and go into holes on the side of the bed then tighten down the nuts on the end of j bolt, whole process of installing and bolting down takes less than 15 minutes with a helper, hope this helps :beer::texas:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there woody31,

Thanks so much for the reply/response.

Is this infact the subforum I should be posting in...do you know of abetter one?

I will ask the owner of the el camino there are any mechanisms in the bed.
Other than that, I guess I have to buy these J bolts... I will google to see if there are any aftermarket ones.

Thanks!
Kevin

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
You will be hard pressed to find anything for that top. These were mfg many years ago and any hardware will just need to be made or substituted .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Over the years, I have attached mine several ways.

Originally, I had the J-bolts. They would be the cheapest way to go. I had to use very large washers over the holes in the cap, as it is fiberglass and the holes opened wider over time under the pressure of the bolts. The holes in the side of the bed may elongate over time, also.

What I use now are large eye-bolts threaded into sleeves that I had welded in the bed with ratchet-straps to the cap. I had planned on removing the eye-bolts when the cap was off, but I had a spray liner installed and just had the eye-bolts sprayed also. I really like this method.

If your El Camino has bed rails, you may have to remove the sliding tie-downs before you put on the cap.

Good luck!!
Mark

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,686 Posts
I had a topper for my 83 for many years and it also came with the J shaped bolts and had to drill a hole in the upper side of the bed at each corner . If you can`t find the bolts , you can make them by bending a bolt in the vice with the threaded portion going through the tabs in the topper . Tighten a little at a time as the fiberglass tabs are weak compared to the tightening force of a metal bolt .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts