El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I’m new to the El Camino world and have recently bought a Project El Camino. I was told it’s an ‘83, but it’s a two light (round) model (the El Camino look was apparently differently in South Africa) and it has a Chevy 250 (4100) motor in it. My first question to the forum would be: should I set the motor on fire and get a 305 or 350 instead? I can’t answer this myself, as this is my first time buying a “muscle car” (I don’t know if the 4100 falls in the spectrum)

·
Elkybuick
2,766 Posts
I would research that first El Camino is not recognized as a Muscle Car. And a stock 350 is not that good in the eighties. If you want to make it a muscle car for yourself and have the money several places sell motors to replace the engines that where the quit answer to better gas mileage. But Welcome to the site from West Palm Beach FL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Camino49, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. What kind of horse power are you looking for? Enjoy and have fun.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I’d say enough horsepower to have fun. I know the 4100 gives about 150hp, but I’ve never had a car that pushed even over 90hp, so I don’t know what to expect ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome from Georgia (USA). You may have an Australian built Holden Ute; I’ve seen images of them that are about the size of our ‘fifth generation’ but are a different platform. It appears that GM sold them in SA as El Caminos.
Does yours look like this or like mine?

Patrick
Hi Patrick, thanks for the welcome!
it looks like this, I haven’t posted a picture of my elky coz it’s still looking rough (it was neglected for a while by previous owners)
I’ll post once I start fixing the dings and respraying. Anyone resprayed their Camino recently? How many liters of paint do you think would do the job?

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
I think you have a Holden! I bet your VIN starts with a 6. You’ll likely have to source parts (and information) from Australia, but you’re still welcome here! (I can’t answer your paint question, but someone here can. Paint doesn’t care where it was built!)
Patrick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys, I seem to have found that they sold the Holden HQ Belmont/Kingswood Ute under the chevrolet el camino name in South Africa, Pretty Neat! The shape specifically is the 1974 Holden HQ Belmont/Kingswood Ute. Only real difference I can see is badge and grill.
14216_1808_4.jpg
See attached picture

1 - 11 of 11 Posts