El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong sub forum but Im new to the site and Im sure maybe other newbies may be wondering the same thing

Ive been reading a ton of old muscle car magazines from the 60s on and there is hardly any talk of El Caminos. No features on them, no cool stories, whats the deal?

All is see is mustang, camaro, mustang, camaro

Registered
They are probably not "mainstream" Muscle cars. The pony cars tend to get most of the glory.

Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
el Camino's do not have a "large" following, I grew up in the muscle car era, most of my buddies had other "muscle cars" such as Camaro's, Chevelle's, Vette's, Mustangs, Cougars, Torino's....I don't remember any having an el Camino, where over my life time I have had 25-30....

Director, Region 2
As muscle cars have grown in value I see the pre 1971 El Camino's gaining in value. They are affordable compared to the traditional muscle car but what has made them popular is raising their value. The fifth generation has a way to go but in six years mine has gained slightly in value.

Registered
it has a bed and i can haul a sheet of plywood.:poke:
i call it a truck!!!:dontknow:
from the 60's thru 72 depending on the drive-train it's a Muscle Truck :bigups:

Premium Member
Different strokes for different yada yada yada. :smileyb:

Registered
I can tell you I have had many muscle cars in my life (z28/trans am/MX-5), I have never had the response I have had since I got this SS El Camino (85). I have had people stop me on side of road, tell me my car looks badass more times than i care to hear, people hanging out the window with thumb up and people breaking their necks to see my car as it passes by. People love these cars/trucks now since they havent seen them in a long time. They appreciate it now like never before. Chevy really should bring a full body elky back (not a mini truck).

Robert In Winnsboro,Texas

Registered
They might not be called Muscle cars but they handle and outperform the cars big time..

Might be BS but I heard Smokey wanted badly to use the 68 but NASCAR wouldn't go for it..

At 58 and a gear head my whole life, I've driven them all, my 69 is the best hands down.. I wish I would of bought one in the 70s!

Attachments

Premium Member
The fun part of it is when you come up to a light, and some guy next to you, in his ( he thinks) muscle car, looks over & smirks, just before the light turns green, and you smoke him real good !!

The paint on the '77 was faded some, and a bit of rust starting etc, but the 406 up front did the job real nice, and barked the tires at each shift !

Registered
As far as I know, it's been debated since 59 if they were a car or truck. Maybe thats why they haven't been listed in those catagories. You may find then under Muscle Crucks. :dontknow:

Registered
As Carl already said, only 1964-1972 are the real muscle cars (again, depending on what you have in them). In my opinion, after the third gen, they lost that muscle look/feel. I guess the best way to describe them is muscle car in the front, truck in the back. They were the mullets of muscle cars, if you know what I mean :smileyb:

I think in general the muscle car era was over by 1971-1972.

Registered
We were banned from a car show in Old Town Kissimee Florida because they said El Caminos were not muscle cars so we quit going , technically a muscle car is a big block car so I guess some of our members qualify as muscle trucks.

Ministry of Broke Things
So this isn't a muscle car? My 454 says otherwise.

Registered
I can't speak for the fifth gen guys, but my fourth gen is built off a chevelle chassis, last time i checked, there was no dispute about chevelles being muscle cars, and they have a large amount of compatibility in parts, so anyone who says otherwise can kiss my ***, if they can catch it. :nanawrench:

Registered
I have heard that a few select 1970 Elky's were available with the legendary LS6 454 engine that supposedly produced an earth-shattering 450 hp, securing the Elky as one of the kings of the muscle car era. After that, environmental/emissions controls kicked in and engines got smaller and smaller. Still, I just got my 5th gen about a week ago (305 V8) and get compliments every day. To me, there's nothing more stylish and unique on the road than an Elco. Just my $0.02.

Site Contributor Supporting Member
My 5th. Gen with it's little 305 may not be considered a muscle car but she sure is sweet and she gets lots of attention where ever she goes.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts