El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new intake and Q-jet installed. Everything was fine, and choke was fine. Went for a haircut on Monday, she was busy, so was going to go home. Wouldn't start. Pulled cleaner, and choke was fully closed (flooded). Forced it open and put something in to wedge open so I could start it. That worked. Got home, pulled the blocking piece out, and choke fully engaged. No work on it yesterday (wife in hospital). Today, turned on the ign switch and tried to measure voltage on choke. No joy. The choke adjuster will adjust the flaps open, so it APPEARS the choke is OK, but then, I really don't know. This is a Mountain Man carb, so I have faith it's good. Where does the wire go from the choke? It appears to be light blue, and I traced it down to the crossing on the bell housing, but couldn't find a light blue wire coming on across to go into the cabin. Maybe I can backtrack from inside. Where does the wire (and color) end up to get the 12V to work the choke? For now, I'm leaving the choke fully open, as it will at least run that way.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
if it is set up like my 82, there is an oil pressure switch just to the drivers side of the distributor. Power comes in from the fuse panel, there are 3 wires total, a brown one, a green one and the light blue one you are speaking of.

Purpose of oil pressure switch is to keep choke from engaging if there is no oil pressure. Don't fully understand how that is supposed to work, but my switch had leaked so much oil that the insulation on all 3 was cracked and exposed bare wire. The green and brown wires go back into harness and into the interior near the brake booster, light blue goes down into harness over the bell housing and then up to the choke.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And, I be thankin' ya kindly fur da help. See ya at Belton!!!!!!:You_Rock:

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
If there's a shorting problem in that blue wire, like from missing insulation/bare spot etc, maybe a fuse is blown (?) if there is one in that circuit....
So the engine has to be running to check for voltage on the blue choke wire, like jpmdaddy mentioned.
Of course the oil pressure switch itself can fail too, so if no voltage, OK fuse etc, it could be the pressure switch.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the switch mentioned above controls the choke and oil lite you will get no voltage through it without oil pressure. you can bypass it one will be hot key on and the choke wire.connect them together.if the choke now works replace the pressure switch.i may be mistaken but i think it gets its power from the same fuse as the power locks. i worked on an 87 a couple years ago with the same issue

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I think the fuse is marked C/H.........

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what I have found: The oil circuit consists of a canister like a fuel filter with a post, and it has only ONE connection. There are no other wires there. I followed the schematic from the choke that wound thru connectors and wound up at a "heater choke relay" on the schematic. Unfortunately, I can't find anything like that under the hood. Since the emissions systems have been removed, that probably was too, and a connection made somehow to get voltage to the choke. I have additional "ign" outlets on the fuse panel, and I'm seriously considering just running a wire from one of them and connecting to the blue wire in the engine compartment. I checked my '56 this morning, and, as long as the ignition switch is on, 12V is applied, so what would be the difference in this case? The '56 has been rewired with proper wiring from AAW, and if that works, why shouldn't this work? Anyone got a better solution/suggestion????:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
The oil pressure switch keeps the choke off if the ignition is on & engine not running. A scenario would be having the ign on (engine off) for a while, and the choke getting hot & open, and a cold engine that needs the choke etc when it gets started.
Mine is wired onto an IGN section of the fuse block, on my Malibu...been that way for years.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
look between the engine and firewall for a connector that looks just like the one on your ac dryer switch, it should be to the right of the dist.i just pulled the entire engine and wireing trom my 86 and will post you a pic of how the plug looks and where it is supposed to be it will take me a few so will return

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the sender by the oil filter is for the gauge and the one by the dist is for the choke. that is also wired into the choke light on your warning light pannel.as a gauge car has no oil light the choke light will come on in times of no oil pressure

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is that your oil pressure sender?

Is that your oil pressure sender located above the oil filter? If so, what wire was attached to it? I have a similar setup on my 84 but no wire.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Steely, I'd forgotten that bit about the oil pressure switch/choke relationship. I would try with the engine running again, but I already know the choke will stay closed from what initially happened to cause this.

JJ, I found, and copied, the schematic that will most help me, I think. I thought I'd pulled every fuse in the panel, but I don't remember one labeled C/H. I'll go back and double check the fuses again. I would be SO happy with a blown fuse. I could use one from the company I bought (not really) when I has having headlight problems and blowing fuses.

Carl, I don't have a connector like your pic anywhere around the distro/oil sender. I have ONE connector onto the oil sender for the oil pressure gauge. That gauge functions properly. There are no loose wires dangling that could have come loose. There is the plastic conduit that comes across and forms a "Tee" on top of the bell housing, and that goes to a major connector that goes into the cabin. From what I can see on the schematic that JJ furnished, it's a brown wire that comes in to the C/H fuse. Unfortunately, there's also a brown wire that goes to the headlights, so decyphering which is which can be a problem. NOW, if I could just find a C/H fuse and have it blown...........:dontknow:

I really want to thank each of you for the help. I will be getting back on it tomorrow. Either I will find a C/H fuse (and hopefully blown), or I will run a wire from an ign slot on the fuse panel and tap into the lt blue wire for the choke. If anyone has a different suggestion, I'm all ears!!!:inlove:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the headlight wire is smaller then the one for the choke. the choke wire is brown with a white stripe and has thick insulation looks like a 12 gauge and the head light wire is 16/14 gauge with thin insulation .my 86 is a 7/86 so it should be real close to what yours should be.open your split loom and look for cut off wires.i will look for the point they come from the cowl plug and post thier position later tonight

1 - 20 of 32 Posts