El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recently purchased '64 ELKY has an electric cooling fan in front of the radiator and does not have the traditional motor mounted fan and radiator shroud. It seems that it is more efficient becasue it is pushing air through the radiator vice pulling. My problem is that after engine shtuoff the fan never seems to shutoff. I end up pulling the wire off the battery + pole after letting it run about 15 min because I am afraid it will run the battery down. Can the fan be set (thermostat?) to turn off sooner? Can it be wired to ignition to shutoff when turn off motor? Any other suggestions? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes and yes. It just depends how much work u want to do. From the sound of it it seem like it might b hooked up to a toggle switch? Look around in the cab for a switch that looks like its out of place. Within reach of the driver seat, I know a few ppl that do stuff like that all the time. If u can't figure it out call the person u got it from and ask after all its only a ? Right:poke:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
A puller fan is more efficient. Pusher fans typically impede airflow by blocking portions of the radiator's core, as opposed to a puller fan, which pulls air through the radiator and is generally about 15 percent more efficient. So if space allows, it is usually better to install the fan on the engine side of the radiator to operate as a puller, where it can draw more airflow.

You should be able to wire you present fan in either way you describe, depending on your controller. for example the derale controller I use for my electric fans has an adjustable activation temperature, the deactivation temp is 10 degrees cooler than teh activation temp.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was think about putting the puller fan on -- there looks to to be plenty of room behind the radiator - expense is probably a custom made shroud ---- what about the ignition? wire to coil or? - thanks

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I was think about putting the puller fan on -- there looks to to be plenty of room behind the radiator - expense is probably a custom made shroud ---- what about the ignition? wire to coil or? - thanks
There should be a 12V switched connection on your fuse block that you can plug into

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Absolutely use a relay!!! Fans draw a low of juice, and the electrical system need the protection of the relay.:beer:

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
X-2 fans pull more efficiently.
I,m currently re-doing some of my electric fan wiring.I,m adding a second relay to better handle the load. I,m also trying an adjustable thermostat which has a probe that attaches in place of the 1/4" npt drain, since my ls1 engine doesn't have another extra water outlet. I,ve also recently heard there are thermostats that read off your electric temperature gauge.
AND the big question, wire the signal for a relay to any 12 volt key switched source.
I,ve also recently learned the hard way that wiring factory quality fans to be on constantly prematurely reduces life.:dontknow:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts