El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
That is quite a sight. That looks like a lot of engineering and hours of work, but it paid off.

Please tell me you at least sold the parts that worked.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
Very impressive!

·
Banned
450 Posts
Just out of curiosity why did you decide to go with a Curtis technology which is old and needs a lot of maintence and not go with the newer AC motor technology which will even partially recharge the batteries and maybe go even more miles on a single charge?
Yes it is a little more costly but is better with less maintence including not ever replacing motor brushes.

Dan

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Very impressive. I have two questions:
How long does it take to recharge?
Would it make sense to include a small generator in the bed to help recharge the batteries when needed?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Very interesting, and unique.Alot of time in that project.Pretty cool though.

·
not around as much
2,192 Posts
Very nice!! :nanawrench: But you need to give us a video of you driving it.

Have you thought about going to a 4 speed trans? Should give your more distance. Hope you stay around cause I know I'm going to have more questions for you.

T

·
0 Posts
Their was a guy around me in Bucks County that I meet that had an electric El Camino. It was cool to see a classic car turned into an electric car!

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Have you thought about going to a 4 speed trans? Should give your more distance. Hope you stay around cause I know I'm going to have more questions for you.
How about a nice Tremec TKO 5 speed? With the torque of the electric motor shouldn't have any problem pulling the overdrive and really get some distance out of it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Very cool. I like seeing green conversions to classic cars. How much does the car weigh now? Was wondering if its any lighter with all those batteries or heavier?

·
Registered
78 Posts
my uncle & friends started advanced DC motors here in syracuse years ago...he`s retired now & sold the company. he`s got all sorts of cool electric powered vehicles including an cool electric boat out at his camp on deruyter lake. They even have electric car races in phoenix, AR every year!!:smileyb::secret:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think its cool, I wouldn't do it to my elky, despite the fact it can be an el-ectric camino.:yell:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Parts is Parts

That is quite a sight. That looks like a lot of engineering and hours of work, but it paid off.

Please tell me you at least sold the parts that worked.
Yes, the motor went to a good home. It may be still available, but we cut up the clutch
disk to make a splined shaft adapter for the electric motor.

The exhaust, fuel tank, and catalytic went to a scrap yard, along with the old front springs.
Yes, it paid off! Two bucks for a full tank...

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
wow i hate math but its cool that you can go 85 mhp. that is good for a pure electric car i think:dontknow:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just out of curiosity why did you decide to go with a Curtis technology which is old and needs a lot of maintence and not go with the newer AC motor technology which will even partially recharge the batteries and maybe go even more miles on a single charge?
Yes it is a little more costly but is better with less maintence including not ever replacing motor brushes.

Dan

Dan:
I regret going with the Curtis. Regen is not needed and AC drive is complex AND
expensive. There are much better controllers than the Curtis, though. It is tried and true,
but mine "surges" at steady throttle sometimes. I know how to fix it, but until she is down
for the winter season, it will have to wait. There is only brush changing every 85000
miles on the motor. Not a lot of maintenance.

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very cool. I like seeing green conversions to classic cars. How much does the car weigh now? Was wondering if its any lighter with all those batteries or heavier?
Is it a car or is it a truck? Wisconsin licenses Elkies as trucks, though mine has collector plates. The weight with driver on a scale was 4000 after conversion. Was about 3300
before. Probably the 900 pounds of batteries and 150 pounds of motor had something
to do with it. Used to be a 229 3.8 liter.

Tom

1 - 20 of 34 Posts