El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy ! I am thinking of converting my 86 to the electric MKIII fan . Whats the results of this from some of you guys that has done it ? Is it worth the effort to go to electric or stay stock ? Also ,what controller kit have you guys been using to control the MKIII fan. Thanks

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
I'm going to install an electric fan with my new motor. I'm going with a 16" 2400 CFM fan. The controller is a Derale 16749 Adjustable Fan Controller. I can adjust the temp it turns on at, then it goes off automatically 10 degrees lower than my setting. It will come on with air conditioning if you want. Or you can install a manual override switch with this set-up. I'm putting in a new radiator too. Here's pics of what I'm running. I have it all, I just have to install it. :beer:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I love my electric fans. Easy install, especially with a serpentine belt setup. Free horses too.
suks2bu37:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
just be careful and make shure you have the thick waterpump pulley or the pulley could fail. this very thing happened on my 84 camaro, look at how thick the pulley is,if it is anout 1/16 in it may break in time.if it has the one thats about 3/16 it will be fine.on my camaro when i converted it to electric i used the later camaro switch and relays to control my fans(2).i cut the flange off of the fan clutch to support the pulley and no more issues.i gained about 3 mpg doing so and the car runns better without the mechanical fan.just make sure you connect it to run whenever the ac is on or you will have poor performance from the ac at idle untill the fans come on.every kit i have seen have instructions on this..

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm going to install an electric fan with my new motor. I'm going with a 16" 2400 CFM fan. The controller is a Derale 16749 Adjustable Fan Controller. I can adjust the temp it turns on at, then it goes off automatically 10 degrees lower than my setting. It will come on with air conditioning if you want. Or you can install a manual override switch with this set-up. I'm putting in a new radiator too. Here's pics of what I'm running. I have it all, I just have to install it.
Not that anyone has to but I second his opinion. Champion has a very nice product. I bought an american eagle 2 core rad from champion last year with 2-14" fans/shroud and the Darele set controller. I got the whole thing shipped to Canada for under $400 minus the controller. It is a very clean set up. At idle the fans drop my car from 180 - 160 in about 30 seconds.

I am very pleased with how my electric fan setup has worked so far. And I don't worry about cutting my fingers off every time I work on the engine as much.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Using twin Spal fans and the Alumatech radiator.

The Spal computer system has operated flawlessly.

Arnie in Iowa

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one thing that I keep thinking of is problems on the road. I drive my El everyday and on trips and I would hate to have a failure on the road. WP

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
One word of advice...don't use the plastic ties to mount your fan. They will eventually become loose and weight of the fan will possibly rub a pinhole in your radiator. This happened to me. I remounted the fan with#8 machine scews and nuts. I used large flat washers and rubber discs. They can be removed and re-used if neede. My fan is now firmly mounted. Total cost abot $3.00 for ss pieces.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
electric fans are on everything from the factory now days. thier reliability has greatly improved/ i have had no failures on my camaro in 15 years since i converted it.my 94 caprice at 225,000 miles still has both factory fans working. if you run twin fans with seperate controls, the chance of being stranded are slim

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Is there a reason why I haven't seen on this site (and others) people using 4th gen Camaro twin fans?

Doug

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i think the reason is the lack of knoledge of or access to the factory stuff. i try to use factory stuff when ever possible, they are engineered to run for a long time. i like my projects to seem as if the factory did them

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have seen the electric fan setup and the fan shroud still installed. It seems to me it is unnecessary and takes up too much room. Thoughts from the experts?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the shroud forces the fans to pull air through the radiator instead of around it,maximizing the fans efectiveness. so if you can find a shrouded fan it will work better than a non shrouded open style. on our cars you need as effiecient a cooling system as possible once you start adding power

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
"you need as effiecient a cooling system as possible once you start adding power " or AC.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've been on the MonteSS forum and a lot of guys use the dual fan setup from late 90's Intrepids. Thats what fan setup I got. It wont be installed for a couple of weeks yet. I'm changing the the whole drivetrain and will be installing the fan setup then.

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
I have seen the electric fan setup and the fan shroud still installed. It seems to me it is unnecessary and takes up too much room. Thoughts from the experts?
The OEM shoud is a venturi, and does increase airflow regardless of having a mechanical or electric fan.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry for high-jacking here, but I've got a stock '66 3 core rad in my '65 Elky and am considering going to electric fans. I saw that Summit Racing has their brand dual 10" fans with shroud for $205.95 but needs the controller/relay. It states that it pulls 2210cfm. If I'm running a stock '71 350V8, headers, 4bbl and aftermarket a/c, what is the recommended cfm I will need? And does anyone already have a set-up they are running on the '66 stock rad size?

The stock '66 core is 24.5"w x 16.125" and has the dual flanges along the sides which I thought would make good mounting points.

Any thoughts appreciated much.......Jay

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,047 Posts
I habe a dual spal setup for my 66. I havent installed it yet and probably wont until next month when i do an engine swap the fan assembly fits my 4 row desert cooler perfectly . Presently im working on fabricating the mounts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I habe a dual spal setup for my 66. I havent installed it yet and probably wont until next month when i do an engine swap the fan assembly fits my 4 row desert cooler perfectly . Presently im working on fabricating the mounts.
Is your rad an aftermarket one, or a stock type? (did they make a 4 row in 66?) Can you take some pics when you get it going?

Reactions: fauxrs
1 - 20 of 27 Posts