El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I got my fans, now I need to figure out how to mount it to my Champion 3 row radiator. What have y’all done that works? tIA!

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Yes, definitely needs a shroud. And how will you control the fans? I run two separate fan controller kits from Four Seasons - their part number 35879. Running two fan controllers gives system redundancy, fuse protection, thermostat adjust-ability and one of these kicks a fan on the instant that the AC compressor kicks in.

Rick

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
as dieselhead and B52 pointed out, get a shroud first. if you can't buy one, then make one. the current situation you hve is going to be real kluge job

·
Registered
783 Posts
as dieselhead and B52 pointed out, get a shroud first. if you can't buy one, then make one. the current situation you hve is going to be real kluge job
I first tried doing basically exactly what the original poster is trying and then went with a Derale fan/shroud unit. It's crazy how much cooler the car runs with a properly sized fan shroud.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,098 Posts
As other commentors have mentioned your fan assembly is a little too narrow, by no means perfect, but don't let perfect be the enemy of good. That fan looks as if you are giving up about 1" of width on either side which means probably close to 95% of your core is under the shroud, that uncovered space might not make an appreciable difference.

That said if you arent interested in returning that fan then we need a method to install the fan that looks good and hopefully recovers some of that exposed core.

It looks like this radiator is one that sits on the channel below and is retained by the coverplate above.

What I would do is as follows. First off you need a sheet metal supplier or machine shop that can provide you with a sheet of aluminum of reasonable thickness.

The height of the sheet is as measured from the rest at the bottom of the radiator to the top cover plate - the idea here is that you are going to retain the fan using these points.

The width of the sheet is measured from the core to tank weld (visible in your photos) so basically your core plus 1/2" (between A & C on the diagram)

you want a cutout in the center of this sheet that the fan assembly will sit over, the opening should probably be 1/2" smaller that the fan assembly on each side.

Fasten the fan assembly to this sheet meal piece.

Space the sheet metal off the radiator with adhesive back foam strips adhered to the aluminum, this spaces the alum sheet away from the radiator and will recover the lost core space.

In a perfect world you would have the shop bend the outer edges of the aluminum sheet about 3/8" to 1/2" - this will give added stiffness but may require some thinking in mounting the assembly.

Essentially what I'm trying to describe here is building a shallow aluminum shroud upon which this fan assembly is mounted.

Best of luck and be sure to let us know how you did

·
Registered
38 Posts
As other commentors have mentioned your fan assembly is a little too narrow, by no means perfect, but don't let perfect be the enemy of good. That fan looks as if you are giving up about 1" of width on either side which means probably close to 95% of your core is under the shroud, that uncovered space might not make an appreciable difference.

That said if you arent interested in returning that fan then we need a method to install the fan that looks good and hopefully recovers some of that exposed core.

It looks like this radiator is one that sits on the channel below and is retained by the coverplate above.

What I would do is as follows. First off you need a sheet metal supplier or machine shop that can provide you with a sheet of aluminum of reasonable thickness.

The height of the sheet is as measured from the rest at the bottom of the radiator to the top cover plate - the idea here is that you are going to retain the fan using these points.

The width of the sheet is measured from the core to tank weld (visible in your photos) so basically your core plus 1/2" (between A & C on the diagram)

you want a cutout in the center of this sheet that the fan assembly will sit over, the opening should probably be 1/2" smaller that the fan assembly on each side.

Fasten the fan assembly to this sheet meal piece.

Space the sheet metal off the radiator with adhesive back foam strips adhered to the aluminum, this spaces the alum sheet away from the radiator and will recover the lost core space.

In a perfect world you would have the shop bend the outer edges of the aluminum sheet about 3/8" to 1/2" - this will give added stiffness but may require some thinking in mounting the assembly.

Essentially what I'm trying to describe here is building a shallow aluminum shroud upon which this fan assembly is mounted.
View attachment 139440

Best of luck and be sure to let us know how you did

I am curious as to why you would go through all the trouble to fab a shroud for a mismatched fan setup when it would probably cost the same or less from Champion and look better.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the responses! I never would’ve thought an electric fan would be such a PITA! I decided to return the fans in the pics and get the shroud designed for my radiator with 2 12” fans. I plan to have one fan wired to a temp switch, and have the other connected to come on with the AC.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
The champion fans are cheap chinee crap.

Derale is the way to go. Costs more but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This looks like the same factory OEM type replacement fan set-up I put on my '66. I saw a post somewhere where a guy installed this on his Chevy. The key point here is that it was installed on a 1st generation A-Body, with the old style down-flow radiators --- and it fits those radiator cores perfectly! 2nd generation and newer A-Body radiators are different.
Just FYI for 1st gen owners.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts