El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aloha, y’all!

After my cheap eBay 16” fan crapped out, I got 2 12” fans and a shroud. I have 1 fan wired to the AC compressor so it spins when the AC is on, and the other is wired to the temp sensor on the thermostat housing. i have a 180* thermostat and the temp stays between 170*-190*. The fan kicks on around 180* like it should. The problem is the fan stays on even at highway speeds. My friend (who is a better mechanic than me) did the wiring and suggested I get a 160* thermostat. Is there any way to adjust the temp when the fan turns on and off? TIA!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I think there are temp sensors that have an on temp and an off temp.
If it was just one on/off temp, it could get to a temp that basically caused signals that caused the fan to frequently go on and off, which could be a little hard on the fan and possibly the relay.

It sounds like your sensor might be set to come on at 190 F and above, while turning off at 170 F. If you have a 180 F thermostat, it might not get down to the 170 F point to send the off signal.
This might be why your friend made the recommendation for a 160 F thermostat.

Would it be better (and possibly easier and more affordable) to move to a 190 F to 210 F sensor?
Your engine would run more like a modern engine?

Others are encouraged to add their thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Get a fan relay, adjustable thermostat and fuse assembly from Four Seasons - their part number 35879. Cost is maybe $40 depending on where its purchased. Mine are from Ebay and I run three of these.

One for my passenger side radiator fan that also supports the transmission cooler fan and kicks the passenger side radiator fan on immediately with the AC compressor being turned on. This controls AC compressor head pressures from going too high and otherwise kicks on at about 195 F if the AC is not running.

The second fan relay kit controls the drivers side radiator fan and is set to a higher temperature of around 205 F.

The third fan relay kit controls my seven inch, 80 watt pusher fan mounted in front of my AC condenser. This kit is set to a low temperature of around 100 degrees at the hot liquid refrigerant line near the input to the condenser. This fan cools the hot refrigerant which gives me cooler temperatures at the evaporator in the passenger cabin.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts