El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my situation. On my 60 elky, i have a 327 engine, that was not installed by me. When the engine was installed, the fan shroud had to be cut off in order for the fan to circulate properly without touching any part of the shroud. This makes it very dangerous to work on the engine while it's running and besides, I know it has some effect on the cooling.

This problem I need to fix either by finding some way to create/shape and mount so sheet metal to close the shroud and protect from fan blades OR take the fan off completely and install an electric fan.

I'm not that creative or skillful enough to work with sheet metal or even weld for that matter, so I'm leaning towards an electic fan.

Can I please get some advise as to the pros and cons of installing an electric fan or if you have any ideas on how to fix the existing shroud.

Thanks
Taz

·
Registered
314 Posts
you'll get more horsepower since the engine doesn't have to propell the fan, the right fan setup can draw more air through the radiator.

the only con i can see is if the fan quits working and your car starts to overheat.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have 2 electric fans on my Elky. They keep it cool. The only thing I don't like about them is, they are loud. I don't know how much horse power they will free up, but you will have more.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Get you a Quite Kool electric fan max airflow least amount of noise I have two on my 383 only one runs the other one comes on and will cycle in the heat of the summer with the A/C on. both of mine pull air thru the radiator.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
When I got my 83 it had a six in in. When I switched to a V-8 I had to get a shorter fan shroud. Maybe yours came with a six and you can find one that is made for the V-8.
Ive tried the electric fan but did not notice any cooling temp gain.

Mike:texas:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Pros...reduced parasitic drag...cons...if your electric fan goes ojt it will run hot...as for a donor car...try a olds alero..i used a dual fan set up from one and it does a good job...when i go out of town i take a 17inch lite weight Flex a Lite fan with adapter and bolts just in case...cheers

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I was having the problem of my motor NOT heating up due to the stock belt driven fan spinning all the time. My stock belt driven fan was really loud too. Annoyingly so. So, i removed it. Went to my local auto parts store, and picked up a universal low profile S-blade electric for $60. Another $10 in wire, connectors and a switch, and i have my current set-up. I hardly have to turn in on, as driving speed airflow keeps my temps perfect.(I might turn the fan on at a really long stop-light, just to keep underhood temps from rising.) S-blade fans are the quiet ones. I can't even hear mine at all when its running. and only barely when the motor is off too. And this thing moves allot of air. The benefit was noticeable throttle response and feel-able power in the upper rpm's(getting rid of that spinning mass that is drawing off the motor is worth it)

Oh, make sure to replace your stamp steel fan pulley with something stronger, since the fan(that you remove) is no longer a giant washer to keep it from warping...those stamp steel ones aren't all that strong where the bolts fasten. I picked up both of my billit aluminum pulleys(waterpump, and crank pulley for $15 and $10 at the GoodGuys swap meet. Never miss one of those if they are anywher near you

·
Registered
106 Posts
Something not addressed above is amperage you have available. If you are still running a generator (30amp) or a old alternator say (46amp) you could exceed its output and run down your battery so changing to an electric fan could force other upgrades as well.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I like the electric setup. I use a 14" in my 64
. Even in the heat of the summer this car has never overheated.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Yeah, no such thing as a free lunch. Alternator HP drag is likely less than HP draw, with a belt driven fan though, if the noise isn't an issue. Depends on if you want to keep it simple.
It is significantly less, not zero as some might try to make you believe but much less than most think...

While this may seem trivial, dyno testing in the May '00 issue of Car Craft resulted in losses of 35 hp at peak horsepower from a simple one-piece, plastic, engine-driven fan. Clutch fans lost between 8 and 19 hp depending upon the clutch model, while a Flex-a-lite Black Magic electric fan driven by the alternator cost 1 hp. All these numbers were generated using a 496hp small-block Chevy at 6,300 rpm
Obviously the cost of the clutch fan will vary with speed and probably not be as high as whats indicated above in regular driving, but the electric fan probably doesnt vary much at all. I dont have a copy of the article in front of me unfortunately.

Below is a pict of my dual 11" spals - never had a problem with these fans

·
Senior Member Participating Member
831 Posts
You use an upper radiator mount from a G body turbo Buick.:yell:

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
another optioon is a leter mpdel camaro --late 80s early 90s== the fan and radiator hold down is all one unit,,,,,:texas:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts