El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am gearing up for the heart transplant, as it begins June 3rd. I am looking t ditching the belt and fan that is on it, and installing 2 electric fans. Does that cut down enough drag to be worth it over all on the engine. I have done some studying on it, and it actually is suppose to cool better with dual electric. Plus with the 19" round hole under my hood scoop, heat escape is also greatly increased.

I am down to the last minute purchases, and all the minor crap you need, so I would like some input on the following items from you guys that have installed Performance small blocks, see below signature for the major components of my engine, and give me input.

1) spark plugs-what are the BEST plugs to use, that are not like special ordered and crap.
2) plug wires
3) oil-ok, i USED to run Castrol in EVEYTHING I owned. But i have heard that Castol cut back on the additives that made them a good oil. So what do you perfomanced powered guys use in you small blocks.
4) Motor mounts-saw some new polyurathane motor mounts on 2 Guys Garage that are just suppose to be awesome. Anyone every use them?
5) I welcome ANY input, negative or positive, on what I am using , attempting, or doing. The reason for that, is we have NEVER put togather an engine this strong, most every one before this has been MILD upgrades. And we have never built an Elkie, so I need to try to avoid the pitfalls and trial and error stuff as much as I can. So any problems and such that ya'll have been thru after you installed a high performance engine, please let me know, whether you think it applies or not. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I think you can kinda answer your own questions pretty much...a lot of things you list are kinda personal preference. Almost any aftermarket product is going to be better than what came on the car stock. Oil...organic vs. synthetic. I hear there's a new synthetic brand on the market that a lot of racers are using called Royal Purple, "do ya need this oil, no but you gotta ask, do you want this oil, oh yeah you want this oil". (I love that guy). 8) I still use Valvoline or Pennzoil, which ever is cheaper when I do an oil change. The important thing is that you change the oil and filter when needed! Spark plug wires? Mallory, Accel, MSD etc. once again personal preference, just make sure they handle the voltage. Spark plugs...AC why? I'm a GM kinda guy and thats what GM put in that motor, but Champion works too. Bosch? Not for me, those are made in Germany, maybe when we're on better terms. Motor mounts...rubber mounts handled 454 LS6 450 hp engines, but polyurethane mounts will probably last longer before they crack (easier to install them now when your dropping in the new motor tho and don't forget the transmission mount). Electric fans...and maybe an aluminum radiator? You might pick up 10-15hp by getting rid of the stock fan, but whats more important the added hp or the motor running cooler? This is a fairly easy upgrade and can be done now or when cash flow is a little better.(Have you read the recent forum from Ernie G. on radiator upgrade?)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have 2 electric fans and they work great. I also have the poly mounts and I like them too. I use valvoline oil. I've been inside several engines of mine which have had nothing but valvoline , they were very clean, no build up/gunk/sludge. If I were going to run something besides valvoline, I'd run a synthetic oil. I have kin folks who race and they switched to synthetic oil and it dropped the temp on their race car. I read an article about spark plugs from an electrical engineer. He says he tested lots of plugs and the autolites hold up the best. I have run them and I liked them. Thats what I ran in the 454.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts