El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greeting fellow elco brethen. I am currently in search of an electric fuel pump (and or regulator) for my 86 elco. I have replaced the tired 305 with an 1996 5.7 Vortec Tahoe motor. I was excited to see that the Vortec motor had a mechanical provision but the excitement was short live when I (my uncle) attempted to place the fuel rod in with no avail. Now electric fuel pumps are foreign to me. I know it is a vital part of my car success so I wont skimp of product quality but I want to make and informed decision. What do you guys recommend (brand) (price)? Daily Driver with no track expectations. Where also should I mount said pump. Im in a heated battle with my uncle about location. He feels that it can be under the hood. I fine with it if it is possible? Makes it much easier to remove if it fails. Im not hoping it fail though. Any Pictures of current set ups? I did a search and everything was pretty vague.

Thanks again in advance

Marvin

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I ran an AC electric fuel pump under the hood of a 55 chevy powered by a holley carburated 327. It did great.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,044 Posts
While it will work under the hood or near the tank, my understanding is that electric pumps (perhaps depending on the type) are more efficient pushing the fuel as opposed to pulling it. Especially if you ever ran out of gas when you would have a fairly sizeable column of air behind the pump that you would have to move before fuel would start to flow.

This is why (among safety reasons) all car manufacturers place their pumps actually inside the fuel tank. Another advantage of a pump close to or even inside the tank is that a pump creating suction at the engine could suck in air through a leaky hose connection, while a leaking connection in a pressure line will show itself immediately.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas for the quick reply on location. Any brands that are readily available at most part stores that I can grab and with ease? I wanna get a reputable/reliable brand. And pay only whats necessary lol. Meaning that I dont mind paying competitive price but I feel I may overbuy because of the importance of the part and have a high end racing part for street use.:dontknow:

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Pick up a Holley "blue" fuel pump from Jegs,Summit or wherever. You can buy one with a regulator on ebay for very low prices. I have always mounted mine on pass side inner fender. Had no problems. They also offer silent pumps if you don' t like the noise.

·
Registered
134 Posts
As I posted in your other topic, I went with a generic one from CarQuest. Install wasn't too bad at all.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've used a generic electric fuel pump on my T bucket for some 10 years now, after the original, expensive red Holley pump crapped out with less than 5,000 miles on it. It's pretty easy to plum. You just need to run a power wire that can handle 30 amps to the back of the car. I think I paid $30 for it; it's still available for less than $50. The Holley cost over $100.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I guess the word" generic" is code today for "made in China". It seems everything offered today by the big auto parta chains is from Asia.

Please excuse my rant, not it's content, but for posting it here..my bad. But it's true!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm running a holley red on the passenger side inner fender of mine. thing was easy to wire in and seems to work pretty good. I think its only good to like 7 psi though so if your running an injection setup you'll need something with a little more pressure (I think the holley blue is for injection?) Here's a few pics of my setup.

Given I don't have a heater box though so there's a little more mounting room in mine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks good. I take it relays were/are included with the pumps? No one locally has the Holley Blue so I may be ordering soon. thanks to all:You_Rock:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I posted in your other topic, I went with a generic one from CarQuest. Install wasn't too bad at all.
Just saw that. I was told by an employee of a parts shop to place two fuel filters on my setup. one between the tank and and electric pump. The other after the electric pump before the carb. I didnt understand the benefit. Can someone chime in?

Marvin

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,044 Posts
Pick up a Holley "blue" fuel pump from Jegs,Summit or wherever. You can buy one with a regulator on ebay for very low prices. I have always mounted mine on pass side inner fender. Had no problems. They also offer silent pumps if you don' t like the noise.
I had one of those on my big block monte carlo back in the day. It didnt last more than a day before I removed it and returned it for being so bloody loud. get the silent one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The relays and all the wiring I actually made up myself as I got the pump with the car and the wiring was in very bad shape when I got it. I'm cheap and didn't want to buy a new engine harness so I made the harness myself. The relay is just switched off the ignition under the dash and then powered straight from the battery through that little fuse panel above the pump. The relay was actually a junkyard salvage so the whole wiring cost me about 15 bucks. (a role of wire and a few bucks on ebay for the fuse block). I could make up a wiring diagram and post it for you if you want. The only annoying thing is there are two fuses that can kill the fuel pump in my setup. The one under the dash for the ignition hot and the one under the hood that the power for the pump goes through.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just saw that. I was told by an employee of a parts shop to place two fuel filters on my setup. one between the tank and and electric pump. The other after the electric pump before the carb. I didnt understand the benefit. Can someone chime in?

Marvin
My guess the one after the pump maybe in case part of the pumps impeller breaks off or some sort of issue in the pump it won't make it into the carb? the one before is to keep stuff in the tank out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here's a wiring diagram of my setup. Not the best I just made it in visio but hopefully it will help. oh and if anything is unclear feel free to ask. The reds are hots and the blacks are grounds

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not a fan of electric pumps for daily drivers....Best to go with a High volume mechanical from Holley. I went thru 2 electric pumps and returned to Mechanical with High volume performance....very pleased!
That was my initial thought but the vortec motor that I have dont have the rod for the mechanical pump drilled. I didnt know the Holley "blue" was so loud. I am currently reading reviews for the electric pumps that are available in my city thru part stores.

Marvin

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Walpro some people like , it depends on the fuel pressure your motor needs. The cam on that motor does not have a lobe to run a mechanical fuel pump ...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts