El Camino Central Forum banner

Electric fuel pump?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  darbysan 
#1 ·
Looking for opinions on installing an electric fuel pump on my 83Elky with a 350....rpm manifold, Holley 650 DP, comp cam, dual exhaust. Looking for the most reliable, best set-up for my engine. Mega-shifter, 700R4, 373 rearend. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Tfhanks
Mike

#3 ·
Hey, here's an idea, but only if you are not using a mechanical pump in conjunction with an electric pump. An electric fuel pump needs to be mounted close to the fuel tank. You'll have to run a wire back to it for power anyway. Why not run the wire through the smugglers box and install a simple on/off toggle switch in the line that is within easy reach of the drivers seat. This is a very simple and cheap anti-theft device. Nothing would PO a thief more then to get in your car, get it started, and drive off only to have it stall a 1/2 block down the road due to no gas. He won't take the time to look for the switch, he'll be to busy running.

#4 ·
I did the switch trick with my Avanti. Put a push-on, push-off switch under the carpet where I could get a foot to it, but where it would not be seen. As you say, 1/2 block down the street and it's dead!

You can always tell if it is on when you turn on the ignition- you'll hear it start to run. But a thief would not be expecting to hear it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.