El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm swapping my v6 to a sbc 350 in my 86 Elco and i currently have an electric fuel pump but I'm putting a mechanical one on because I'm going to run a carb does anyone have any pointers or advice on this?

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
What pressure does your electrical pump operate at? I put a new mechanical pump on my 350 ci. The carburetor needed not more than 7lbs, mine put out 9 lbs so I had to add a fuel regulator, to get the pressure down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
12psi i have a regulator tho I just dont want to use it because the last time I used it I had problems with too much gas and not enough gas at times so I really wanna convert the electric to mechanical just to eliminate all possible gas problems.... have you converted from electric to mechanical before?

·
Premium Member
8,155 Posts
I understand I went through the same kind of problems with the mechanical. Just want you to know that the mechanical pumps can get too much pressure too. I don't know what brand is the best. I haven't used a electronic pump yet. Was considering one and change to fuel injection. Others here maybe able to recommend on that works good for a carburetor with out a regulator.

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
@78 Elk
Were your problems with too much fuel pressure with an Edelbrock 4 bbl?
I have heard that dialing back the fuel pressure can sometimes help.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I've run mechanical pumps on cars that ran into the 10s. The trick is in the supply. I used to sump the gas tank with a dual port sump or use a RCI aluminum fuel cell with dual sump ports. Then run two 3/8" steel lines up to a 3/8" tee at the fuel pump. Make sure the fuel pump is open and clean. Run the tubing with the least amount of hard bends as possible. A engineer told me that running two 3/8" steel lines is more efficient than running a 1/2" hose. It has something to do with the pump pulling and not pushing.

This mod made such a big difference in a 64 Pontiac I had with a very thirsty 462 and a Quadrajet carb, they have such small fuel bowls. The car picked up a whole second!! After doing this mod it had this fantastic top end charge that I never knew was there...

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
To convert you will need a new fuel sending unit in the tank for a carbed vehicle that does not hold the electric pump(any of the V8s). Don't get rid of the V6 one. More expensive and harder to come by. With lots of people converting to fuel injection that sender is a keeper.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Make sure your block has the port for the fuel pump AC/Delco most likely the best . Put a bunch of grease on the rod when you put it in so it stays in place or use the holding bolt slot. Agree with the sending unit comments above.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
welcome Jmoz
x2
guess youll have to drop the tank
and pull out the electric pump and
ether modify the hanger/sender to a pickup pipe and suction screen,
or replace the whole thing with a non-electric version..
like this
Dixie Restoration Depot 17GAL
normally id say just run a By-Pass Regulator and the Electric Pump,
but it may have a problem,
or it could be the TBI Regulator causing the
""too much gas and not enough gas at times""

1 - 10 of 10 Posts