El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running one ? I was planning on swapping to one when I do my electric fan conversion what power gains is there and is it worth it

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I put one on my 84 because of the motor I put in and then had to put on a pressure regulator but I think it will be more dependable in the long run.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've known guys who put them on. I know exactly the same number of guys who have taken them off. Great for racing, 1/4 mile at a time. Lousy on the street. And they quit just when you need them most. Ever hear of a mechanical water pump quitting completely on a desert road in the middle of the night with no warning?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Anyone running one ? I was planning on swapping to one when I do my electric fan conversion what power gains is there and is it worth it
I wouldn't recommend it. When it comes to daily drivers, dependability and reliability are far more important than performance, IMO. You might gain 20 HP at 6500rpm with an electric pump over a mechanical.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i havent heard of any certified for the street. as stated obove they can quit and where ever you are when they quit that is where you are stuck with little or no warning.for my money not an option on the street

·
Registered
16 Posts
Upside: eliminates a pulley. Sometimes an entire belt. Some power gain. Can run after shutdown to continue cooling.

Downside: unpredictable lifespan. Insufficient flow for sustained high engine speed cruising. Needs robust electrical circuit and amperage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts