El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm almost to the point of cornering my electrical bug. I had Donny over to help me and take a look at what was going on under the hood and he finds this!

Not sure what that was all about or who put it there but that's another fire hazard that Donny cut out.
We traced all the wiring, fixed the engine bay problems and everything is leading back to either the dash or fuse box.
Something is draining the battery as it sits but I figured it could be either the headlight switch that once smoked before or the cigarette lighter. I'm thinking its something that has constant power with the car off.
Any idea's before I start tearing into the dash for the light switch?:dontknow:
BTW.thanks DDD for all the help,it surely solved more than half my problems!:You_Rock:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Put an amp meter inline on your battery cable and start pulling fuses until the amp draw goes away. That circ is your draw.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put an amp meter inline on your battery cable and start pulling fuses until the amp draw goes away. That circ is your draw.
I did that before and Donny tried that yesterday. Still nothing...

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
To add;
I had constant ground to red wire going to starter leading back into dash area. I removed all fuses and disconnected steering column wires and no change. I figure either a wire has shorted or a switch? No offence meant but under his dash is a mess.
Without removing one wire at a time does anyone have any ideas as to where to start?
I really don't know what is keeping the wire from burning? It was hooked up to the starter wire and hot battery cable, you would think something would smoke and burn?
My meter showed a direct connection between the wire and ground and it's a hot off the battery???
Ideas? :dontknow:
Donny

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when using a meter is that they draw very little power. sometimes they will show a direct connection because they use so little power when actually there is a resistance to a high current load.

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Try using a test light instead of meter.??
If all else fails unplug headlight switch.
still have a draw??
Ignition switch is next.
Cheers:You_Rock:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Just WHERE did you find this little "goodie"? To me, it looks like an electric fan temp sensor. What happens when you cut off and insulate the ends of the wires? You have anything installed using relays? If so, pull them and see whut dun happens......:poke:

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
There may be a problem in the alternator. Since it is wired directly to the battery and is not a fused circuit, it can drain the battery.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
As a temporary band aid, you could install a simple battery cut off switch. Or one of the new automatic models.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
are you sure that the solenoid isn't shorting to ground?

once saw a wire from a solenoid connection shorting to another solenoid post, it spun around when the nut for the post was being tightened

(and of course we all know that your helper has his wires crossed!)

:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
As a temporary band aid, you could install a simple battery cut off switch. Or one of the new automatic models.
I said that to and he could run his alarm off the battery. But he don't have any fuse links so I said he needed to put at least an in-line fuse in it.
Donny

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm still trying to corner the bug but I'm getting closer. I checked the cig lighter and interior lights. Next will be the CD player and light switch....

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
There may be a problem in the alternator. Since it is wired directly to the battery and is not a fused circuit, it can drain the battery.
good idea kerno, it could be shorted out internally :You_Rock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts