El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a short that is killing battery. Disconnected battery and put meter on ohms and show complete circuit between pos and neg wires with nothing on. So best way to proceed? Just the old start tracing wires I guess?

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Use a multimeter set to DC amps between a battery post and a battery cable to see what the amp flow rate is. Then start pulling fuses one at a time to see which circuit is the offender.

But before you get too deep into pulling fuses, my bet is a bad rectifier inside the alternator. Have you tested your alternator at an auto parts store? It is usually a free test.

Rick

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
if you don't have a dome light, under hood light, glove box light, brake lights stuck on ??
no Alarms, big Radio Amps, other aftermarket power eaters ??

pull the big red wire off the back of the Alternator and see how much the
amps on the draw goes down.. then disconnect the 2wire connector and check..

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Just follow what the two guys in front of me said.. I've been an electrician for 45 years, they are both spot on...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I would run a choke cable and remove all that electrical stuff.. Those electric chokes engage when the engine is hot, something you don't want. With the cable, you pull it when the engine is cold, start it on high idle, push it in and drive away. If it stumbles, pull it out half way or enough so it stops stumbling for a minute or so, then push it back in..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts