El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.i recently bought an intake,dizzy,and carburetor that is non computerized.i want to eliminate my computer,and ecm on my 86 elco.i have a transplanted l69 305 h.o. from my 87 mcss along with 2004r tranny and complete engine harness from the 87 mcss as well.i need to know what wires i can eliminate and what method i can use and some sort of schematic. If any available.i am will be swapping my 200r4 for an th350 as to eliminate the use of a lock up.now would it be wise to remove the entire harness and eliminate. What i know i wont need? Or will i ne able to do the nessasary conversion of harness with harmess still attached to engine bay? I have already disconnected all conections and have harness ready to remove,along with cleaning of intake and. Removed. Carb also.basically trying to clean up bay and eliminate any wires i DO NOT need.ian not running ac.is it possible to connect what i DO need to get it running and then eliminate the uneeded wires?i would really like to keep harness intack and notjust "cut"wire's. Out,but is there another method?HEEEELLLLP!!!!!any feedback greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
there is a BIG bunble of wires coming out of the firewall below the heater-a/c box. the other side of that bundle is your computer. if you are elminating your computer, just unplug it and pull that enties bundle. all the components attached to all that wire will no longer be necessary.

it's the wires coming out of the firewall over by the steering column that you will need.

check out this vid - it's the 1st of 4, about one minute in you'll see it. one of the other vids will show the other wiring harness (under the steering)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response and vid edotb! So do the wires i" need" separate in the harness itself or will i have to separate them myself and wrap/tuck back what i don't need? Like i mentioned i would like to keep the harness intact and butcher free.and do i need to remove the entire harness from bay,or is this doable while still attached in bay?. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im building this el for a ex-girlfreind in a" non emmision nee:twisted:ded states"Yes those are 24's(another c:nanawrench:lients build).come on guys somebodY walk me through this process????

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No,my el does not have any emmissions/air pump done been removed.i already have harness bundled (yes i think tucking is out the qu:???:estion)and. Distributor removed, and am ready to remove/swap intake.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
pull the pass inner fender and pull all of the computer wireing out. 2 plugs from the computer and the white connector that connects it to the dash harness.unplug it all and remove.the engine gets all that it needs to run from the harness that comes from the driverside below the wiper motor. the 12 ga. pink is power for the coil ,the 12 ga. purple is the crank wire, the green wire is the temp gauge, the brown is the oil gauge. these are the min wires needed to make it run. you will need to keep the alt plug and wires,should be a 10 ga. red and 18 ga dark brown to signal the regulator

·
Registered
400 Posts
lcochino

If you do as CCC says pull passenger inner fender well and pull big harness with about 2 inch rubber plug in firewall (right below HVAC unit/suitcase), then you should be fine. However, you will still have electrical connectors in the engine harness (which are no longer operative) as follows: i.) knock sensor (recommended that you leave sensor installed with harness attached does not hurt anything); ii.) pull connector (should be four wires) to distributor (and tape to harness or tuck inside harness sheathing) - these is the black weatherpack connector not the red or white power and tach connections; iii.) pull two conductor weatherpack connector connected to the carburetor idle solenoid (again tape to harness or tuck inside harness); iv.) pull three ("3") conductor weatherpack connector connected to the carburetor throttle position sensor (again tape to harness or tuck inside harness.

Obviously, install new distributor and carb and then tune. You can plug off vacuum to the diverter valve and you will need to figure out the purge valve/charcoal canister set-up (you really should keep this as it prevents the driver from smelling gas fumes and you really do need a gas tank vent).

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
you will need all the wires coming from under the steering and none of the wires coming from under the heater box. it is a BIG bundle and will be difficult to 'tuck' or hide - plus you just won't need them.

there will also be a 'small' bundle of wires on the passenger side. keep the small bundle in tact, they are the wires for your a/c, heat, fan, etc.

did you get to the 4min mark on the vid? it pretty much shows what it will be when you pull the computer harness. just follow the engine harness, map and tag the wiring at each component it attaches to and put it back that way. once that computer harness is gone it's a pretty simple lay out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I forgot to mention that you should just get an after-market lockup kit for the transmission (much easier than switching transmissions). B&M and various ebay suppliers provide such a kit.

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
I forgot to mention that you should just get an after-market lockup kit for the transmission (much easier than switching transmissions). B&M and various ebay suppliers provide such a kit.
ditto - don't give up the overdrive. gas ain't gettin' any cheaper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts