El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any other el caminos in their town? there arent many in my town.

there used to be an old couple that had a pristine '86 that was white w. gray int. and had a 454 but was swapped out for a 4.3 for better gas mileage :roll: they drove it year round but it still remains spotless. unfortunately, they traded it in to the ford dealer a while ago :cry:

there is also a '85 (i think) SS clone sitting in this guy's garage. it has been in there for many years and was sanded down to bare metal on the sides. it is brown/brown and has a front air dam and camaro rims. i am trying to buy it but the guy doesnt want to sell yet. i am going to try to buy it this summer (maybe he'll finally sell it!)

then there i a guy that is in the local car club and is a family friend. he has a beautiful black '86 with a gray interior and a 305. he bought it from a funeral home for $1500. i really like it and my mom always wants to buy it but he loves it too much to sell (yet).

then there is me. i am only 18 but i already have two el caminos but i am always willing to add to the stable. i have my eye on a few locally that would be good parts cars. i am proud to have the only el camino at my school.

·
Super Moderator
4,363 Posts
I know of about 20 + in my area. I have four myself. Not too many in the wrecking yards. I've had several elkys, bought my first one at 16.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I see a few of the around. I just stopped to look at an '87 thats sitting for sale for $2200 w/ 75K miles on it. I tried trading my Suburban for it but he wouldn't do it :( A friend of mine has an '84,the same '84 my '78's interior is out of. he took the int. out of his '82 and put into it. Theres a nice looking '83 a few miles away that I see quite a bit, and a real nice '81 is around during the summer months. It's mostly 5th gen around here, unless theres a car show going on nearby, then the other years show up.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
Chattanooga has a couple dozen, or more, 5th gen, about a dozen 4th gen, and a handful of 2nd and 3rd gen. The majority are rust free. Got a nice 86 SS for sale, high optioned, 92k miles. Here's a picture: http://www.necoa.org/images/86SS_1.jpg Owner, Larry Cook is asking $5200. 423.875.4685

·
Registered
88 Posts
all the elkys here are 5th gen, ive seen a Sprint too, think it was an '83. ive seen one '76 in amazing condition but its not for sale :cry:. and i also saw one ranchero :evil: but i didnt have anything to beat it with.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It seems like theres a million elkies around here. Most are 5th generation and a few 3rd/4th here and there. Whenever Im heading anywhere I dont go often Im always on the look-out and around here it seems liek they're everywhere. The only problem is that because im in the worst area, if they're not taken care of, they rot.

I'm only 17, got my elky when i was 16 too acauth... and I've already been completely through one parts car and every single one in every local junkyard. Ive also stopped to talk to a few local elky owners, including one that turned out to be an old friend of the family. Hes got 3 5th gen's, one is a mint 4.3, and 2 daily drivers. :) I like him.

Normally I see elkies sittin in a side yard on some backroad. I almost want to stop every time and see if they're worth anything. But eh... my after school job doesnt give me the finances to make those stops :( Theres always time for that later though :)

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
There all over, the problem is talking the owner into selling it. The other day I just spotted what looked like a 66 sitting in a yard of a guy who has a lot of older vehicles just sitting in his yard, I'm keeping my mouth shut about it in the meantime until I can get a chance to talk to him. I also know where there's a Choo Choo just sitting in a yard, been there for at least four years that I know of. I stopped guys driving theirs on the street and have asked them if they were interested in selling theirs, usually get the same reply, "HA HA HA A NO!"

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not many in the Columbia/Lexington South Carolina area. I drive to work about 20 miles every day, and I might see one at that most. I like that though, it makes mine feel a little more unique. :lol:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
There are many 4th and 5th gen's running around here, (Wasilla, Alaska), being used as winter beaters. They're all rusted out, huge holes, bubbles and flaking paint, they are nasty. In the summer there are a few nice clean ones, but I see more in the winter than I do summer. :?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
It's a little dusty in here. Around here there are probably about 20 I've seen. I know about 8 of teh owners. A guy who has a local tire shop owns 3. One is a 5th gen with a 454.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i'm from around albany n.y. and see mostly 5th gens in fair stock condition but if you keep your eyes open 8O during the summer on cloud free days you can get to see all the gen's 8)

·
Registered
717 Posts
El Caminos are becoming more and more popular these days. I live in a somewhat small city, but there are quite a few elkys in my area and I keep spotting new ones all the time.

But you know what's even more surprising is the amount of 73-77 Chevelles that have been popping up. I had never actually seen one in person up until a few years ago...now there are about 3-4 that I've been seeing regularly.

Seeing all these rides out on the road is nice, but it's sad at the same time because I've been seeing fewer at the wrecking yards, making it harder to obtain parts. Although that could also become a good thing as it may create more of a demand for reproduction parts.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,659 Posts
In a 30 mile circle I have sean about 10 that will visit a cruise or show of that 10 only 4 go often and of that 10, 6 are gen 2 & 3 and the rest are gen 5. There are another 6 to 10 drivers and betters all gen 5. out of all that there are only 3 ECC members that I know of.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts