El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So I'm 17. Most of you guys probably don't see why I need a nice stereo system in my car. Im talkin nice deck, nicer speakers, 800 watt amp and two eight inch woofers with boxes. Here's the problem, my current speakers are **** and I want 6x9's..but then I'd have to cut holes and there is no room on the dash. Anyone with any good car audio advice tell me what I can do, keepin it reasonably cheap and still have all of those items without redoing the whole inside of the rig?

·
1,867 Posts
Just put tweeters in the dash, Mids in the doors, & if you must have massive woofers put them in the rear compartment behind the rear carpet. I have 4 in coaxiles in the dash & 6x9s in boxes behind the carpart with a 50w stereo. It's all the music I will ever need in the small confines of my mino. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Put some 6x9's in some boxes behind the seats, or in the smuggler compartment... :-D

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
I think it's possible to design and build your own box (7/16ths OSB) that would fit in the smugglers box, still have room for the spare tire, and have all those components that you want...except maybe that 800watt amp...I think that's a lil bit overkill...Elky glass is not that easy to find...DID YOU HEAR WHAT I SAID...ELKY GLASS IS NOT THAT EASY TO FIND! :lol:

·
1,867 Posts
I built my own boxes for the 6x9s 10 years ago. They turned out great. I have been though severals sets of speakers since then. I have my spare in the bed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, I forgot to add, "Build your own boxes" they are easy, and you can get plans, if you need them, off the internet... I was just throwing out the idea with the picture... :-D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im looking to put 2 8's in separate boxes in behind each one of my seats. One minor problem however comes from Crutchfield.com, who insists that cd players don't go in that age of cars. How much more will installation cost and is having someone else do my speaker holes really expensive..cause although Im a cheap kid, Id lik it to be perfect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm a cheap kid too... here is what my set-up is: 12 inch bazooka in a custon box in the smugglers compartment 500 watt 4 channel alpine amp 2 Infinity 6x9's in a "soundborad" I made basicly 1/4 plywood covered in carpet with wooder spaces I attached to the rear wall under the back window, stock 3 1/2's in the dash and a pair of clarion tweeters in the pillars. Two channes bridged sendign 250 to the sub and the other two are pushing the 6x9's. To get the Cd player to mount I cut a piece of thin sheet metal to fit the cd player and drilled the proper holes to aline with the screws in the dash and also cut out the proper area for the climate controls then I just bolted my new plate in and it looks good I used alumnium and swirled it with a wire brush to match some of my other home made trim pieces. If you want I'll email ya some pics just Pm me or sumthing

·
Registered
636 Posts
AmericanRWElky said:
...One minor problem however comes from Crutchfield.com, who insists that cd players don't go in that age of cars.
Really? Hmmmm....glad i didn't know that before i put one in! Truth is...you could put a CD player in a Model T if you secure it properly....and dang near any installation kit can be anchored to the hump behind the dash to give the stability a CD player needs.

How much more will installation cost and is having someone else do my speaker holes really expensive..cause although Im a cheap kid, Id lik it to be perfect.
Speaker installation....especially in the doors....is a piece of cake! The only way you're gonna learn is to do it yourself! Think things through...measure everything TWICE before you cut, then have at it! You CAN do it yourself! :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
ok watch this :) i'll show you newbs hows its dizone!

http://www.effit.com/system/

that clarion is now gone and replaced with the v12 alpine mrv f340 but you get the idea. x969 kenwood deck, infinity 5.1 perfects in the kick pods up front. 6x9 infinity reference in the rear. two infinity dvcq 12s in the custom box firing down. who said systems were for new cars?

and yes. theres a 150amp alternator running this rig :p

·
Registered
120 Posts
Where did you get the pods at I have looked online and I can only find two gauge piller pods.

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
That would be a Q-Form component speaker enclosure. Try this link out...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Vq1fM4faE1i/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=765&a=1
If that didn't work, do a search on Q-Form QLK1011. It comes in blue, black, dark grey, and red for about $150 (on Crutchfield.com). I'm planning on going all out on my sound/entertainment system. This is the breakdown:

2-15" Poweracoustik MOFO (2600w each)
2-Audiobahn A2300HCT amps (2400w max. each)
2-2 farad digital capacitors (unsure of brand yet)
Clarion VRX935VD DVD Player (7" motorized monitor)
Clarion SRK5 Center Speaker (for 5.1 surround)
Clarion DVH920 Audio Processor (for Dolby Digital/DTS processing)
2-Audiobahn ABF39T 6x9 (3-way)
Audiobahn ABC5002Q Component Speakers (5.25" to fit Q-Form)

Yep, it's going to be loud and expensive. I wouldn't have it any other way. In case you're wondering, I plan on going to shows with my elky. It's got to be flashy. :p Also, the subs and amps will be in the bed of the elky with the 6x9s placed in a custom panel infront of the "secret spot" behind the seat. 8O

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hey gr8ridejester , I think I will be able to hear that stereo of yours all the way up here in New England! I like my music loud also, but most of the time I'd rather listen to the exhaust.

Anyway, I went for the more "conservitive" route.

I realized afterwards, I could have gone much bigger and deeper on the speakers. Plus, there is plenty of room in back for amps.

I took the doughnut spare out, just for the picture. The spare doesn't get in the way of the speakers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
this is my set up 2 10"s one 18" in the smuglers box fiberglass and sheet aluminum to reinforce and divide it, 2 3 1/2" mb quarts for the center channel 2 6 1/2" mb's in the kickpanels and two rockford 4's in the sail panels coverd with two layers of grill cloth to tone them down since they are right next to my head. I think 6by9 's are to efficent to be used as a rear speaker because they tend to over shadow your front stage. dont forget your dynamat (acualy if you by snow & water shield at home depot its basiclly the same material for a tenth of the price) so you dont sound like a ricer tin can.. :lol: best of luck any questions just email me.

·
Super Moderator
1,568 Posts
I'm sure my actual setup will be different by the time I go to purchase it. I'm sure there will something bigger and better in a year or two (when I'll be ready to install it). I plan on spending about $3000 total, so I may decide to go with different amps or buy last years at a discounted price. I've installed a system before in my 89 Mazda B2200. It consisted of a Kenwood headunit, 2-4" Blaupunkt (2-way), a 1000w American Pro amp pushing 2-JL 10"s. It wasn't a major system by any means, but it sounded killer...well, the bass did anyway. I like the way you did your speaker wall a72elky. That's kinda what I had in mind for my 6x9s.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
AmericanRWElky said:
Ok. So I'm 17. Most of you guys probably don't see why I need a nice stereo system in my car
So, what you figure we're all really old or don't like music? Anything worth doing is woth doing good. Music or other.

FYI,

I play the drums, Coronet and the radio very well. I also play around with women too! I like tinkering with the knobs and all that stuff. :D I am 46 and still like my rock and my country music. If it doesn't have a beat and they scream insted of sing then its not music. But hey everyone has their preferences, right?

"If its got a beat I can dance to it, if it has hair I can ride it!"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, i just bought a 77 elky and hopefully in a month i can install the system thats currently in the car. Lemmie breack it down to you....... Alpine 7965 head unit, alpine 400 watt amp running 2 4x6's and 2 6x9's(both are pioneer soon to be boston acoustics) 2 power acoustic 1,100 watt rms amps, and finally to round out the selection 2 (YES I said TWO) Vega 15s in the "box" 8O :eek: :-D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts