El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loaned my Elky to my boss and he stopped to put som gas in it. When he finished, the car wouldn't start.

The alrm works, the battery is showing 13+ volts (red-top Ultima) and there is a soft "clicking" sound when the key is turned.

I thought it might be the starter solenoid, so I replaced the starter. Same thing.

Not a fuse block issue, because there is power to the dash lights and all other electrical stuff works.

Any ideas? I spent over two hours replacing the starter in the parking lot of the gas station, but I was able to get a friend to tow it back to my driveway, so it's not an emergency, but I need my car to get to/from work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Did you try to do the old screwdriver trick on the starter to see if it turns over. Did he put some bad gas in it ??

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,305 Posts
..how old is the battery..??..it could still show 13 volts,but if you don't have a amprage,then,it won't turn over..:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Yeah, it's been kinda damp around here the last coupla days. I agree about the terminals 'acause it's fast and cheep!!!! Me?? I ain't fast, but I do be cheep!!!!!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
[The alarm works, the battery is showing 13+ volts (red-top Ultima) and there is a soft "clicking" sound when the key is turned.]

I get the same ticking sound when i turn the key on. I thought it might be the choke/meter on the carb calibrating since it stops after 10-15 seconds. you might check the elec. connections on the carb if its a CCC. Good luck and let us know..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have gotten a lot of rain lately. I will check the battery, as I am not sure just how old it is, but even with a jump start from a dual battery monster diesel truck, I got nothing.

I don't think I can even reach the terminals on the starter without jacking up the car like I had to do when I was changing it out, and that scares me, lol. I don't want to be under the car when it tries to start.

I will keep y'all in the loop.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
hmm, you would think a jump like that would have worked - even if terminals needed cleanup, but - nevertheless - clean the battery posts and cable terminals at the battery and try it - moisture and even light corrosion can do some pretty strange things.

This would be one of the cheapest things you could try - even if you have to buy a new terminal cleaning tool....

I've heard of a cell going 'dead' on a battery.... I think that can completely interrupt the circuit - :dontknow:

·
Supporting Member
4,523 Posts
Might want to be sure that the Park/neutral switch is not blocking your attempt to start. If you stil have a column shift, move the shift lever a bit while trying to turn the key to see if you find the "Sweet Spot" of the PN switch.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried that shifter dealio and there was no joy. It's the soft "clicking" noise that has me puzzled.

·
Supporting Member
4,523 Posts
When you turn your key to ON, the soft clicking noise is the Mixture Control Solenoid in your carb. That is normal. If you turn the key to start, and hear a rapid clicking noise, that is the starter solenoid trying to engage. If this is the noise, then you don't have enough amperage in your battery to drive the starter. Could be a bad or dead battery, or bad connections ( assuming the new starter is "good").

Just for grins, have you tried starting in Neutral rather than Park? Another possibility is the switch itself is bad. There is a small set of gears that drive a rod that enables the start. Those gears can break ( plastic). There was a thread on this last week.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I hear the clicking from the carb, not from the starter.

I was unable to test the starter before I installed it because the car was in the parking lot of a gas station and the starter is brand new. The chances of a DOA starter are slim at best, so I am not too worried about it being bad out of the box.

It will not start in either Park or Neutral. Ran the wipers with key in the ON position and they ran just fine for a few minutes so the battery is good.

I have another column that I can switch out, but it is not set up in the same configuration as the one on the elky currently. I'll have to change some stuff around.

Is there a way to test the switch, to determine if that is the issue, WITHOUT having to tear the column apart completely?

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,616 Posts
If there's no clicking at the starter, that tells me that there is either no power or the solenoid/starter is defective. I know that it is not likely that the starter is bad out of the box, but it's not impossible. I would remove the battery cable from the solenoid, and then put a voltage meter on the cable and see if there is adequate power. If not, I would then look at the cable, battery, or gound wire as possible causes. If there is adequate power from the cable, I would think the starter may be defective.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like I get to get dirty again today, lol!

I'll check those things and report back.

If it turns out that the starter is bad out of the box, then GRRRR!:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Battery is all cleaned up, with 12.19 volts showing on the meter. Same voltage on hot wire at starter.

Should I try the screwdriver trick across the solenoid?

·
Supporting Member
4,523 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts