El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '82 elky that, lately, has been having the red "volt", read alternator, light come on after a few minutes of running. The aftermarket gauges don't indicate any problem. I put it on the tester with the volt indicator illuminated and the alternator is charging up a storm. The battery is plenty hot also. I don't have a clue as to where to go at this point. I have just been ignoring the light, but it does get a bit disconcerting to always have this red light on the dash. Any thoughts?? :confused2:

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
There's an oil pressure switch on top of the motor near the distributor that GM decided would be a good place to route lots of electrical signals through including idiot lights. I had a Choke light that wouldn't go out and thanks to ECC I learned about that switch. Here's a photo of the part and part number
:

I'm no expert but it fixed my problem. I'm sure you already checked your grounds, this might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Check with a volt meter it sounds like your over charging causing the battery to get hot, most likely needs a new alternator. If you let it go much longer like that it will cook your battery causing it to go bad also.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Can anyone give an explanation on how the light would indicate an over charge? Thought I understood how it is wired and how it works so I'm thinking I might have a learning experience with this one.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I had an alternator in mine that when I revved the engine up to about 2000rpms the light would come on. Checked it with a meter and it was putting out over 16 amps at those speeds. At idle it was around 13.8v. New alternator solved the problem. I'm not saying go buy an alternator, but at least check if you have an overcharge condition.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
In the past I have seen an alternator that operated properly with an indicator light. Alt. had bad diode trio.
Is the light on dim, or full bright?
The light gets bat voltage with the key in the on position, the other side of the light is grounded through the non-excited alt, when you start the engine the alt sends voltage to the other side of the light, equal voltage on both sides of the bulb makes it go out. This is also how the side marker lights alternate flashing with the turn signal.
Any variance in voltage will light the light, dim usually in the diode trio scenario, usually bright in the overcharge, or changes with RPM.
:texas::beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.