El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me a rough idea or point me to a place that has instructions of how to check/adjust the timing on my 350? Also, when my car is cold it starts instantly but when it's warm it acts like the battery is weak (barely can tuuuuuurrrrrrn oooveeerrrr the motor then suddently it starts turning over and starts and runs good.) Any ideas on that? All my co-worker said was, "Yeah, sounds like a chevy." Real useful info huh?

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Sounds like the timing is too far advanced, weak starter motor, bad battery and/or battery cables.

What year is your engine?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Evening Ryan. I'd check those things Robert (acauth1) suggested.
You didn't say, but I will assume that after the engine "cools" for a bit the starter acts normal again. Is that what is happening??

If so, a couple of other things to check, would be if your running headers, the heat from them can cause that exact problem you described because the starter is close to heat of the headers. If that turns out to be the problem, you could try a starter heat shield.

I had that exact problem and relocated the starter solenoid to a place not so close to the headers and it cut down on my "hot no starts".

Just my 2 cents...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts