El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
After media blasting I would use a hose or wash them in a sink full of water to make sure you get all of the residual media out of the areas it can hide. Use compressed air before and after washing, dry thoroughly to avoid rust. Wipe with solvent before you prime it. I'm a bit meticulous with these things though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Parts look great! I second what dmosko said. If you are using SPI products, after you blow off the parts with compressed air, wash the parts, and dry them with compressed air, you can wipe the parts down with their wax and grease remover. I also tack rag everything just before I spray. Spray away!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You don’t think I’ll need to sandblast all this? It’s difficult to get many areas to bare metal with an 80 grit angle grinding wheel especially where the springs/shocks sit. The radiator support is difficult too.
A little hand held spot media blaster will take care of all those hard to reach places. Looks like you should use some kind of rust inhibitor on those headlight buckets though. Great work so far, keep it up!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Something to think about, the paint that was on there kept that steel so nice all these years, why remove it.. I use Lubriplate spray grease.. It goes on wet and dry's over top a nice layer of protective grease.. Its amazing.. I drive my car in the rain without worry. But when the salt comes out the car goes in..

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Something to think about, the paint that was on there kept that steel so nice all these years, why remove it.. I use Lubriplate spray grease.. It goes on wet and dry's over top a nice layer of protective grease.. Its amazing.. I drive my car in the rain without worry. But when the salt comes out the car goes in..
Old School!
Back in the 20's, the NINETEEN 20's, to protect from rust they used to spray the underside of their vehicles with the waste oil from an oil change. That's if they were lucky enough to have the modern oil re-circulation oiling systems. Not the total loss systems of the day. :geek: 😁

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
You might look into a product called OSPHO. It is a liquid rust converter that etches the metal and creeps into cracks and crevices stopping rust in places sandblasting cant reach. I used it when I refinished the undercarriage on my build. It is easy to use and very effective. FWIW I used Summit 2 part epoxy chassis paint and it has held up quite well.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts