El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my elky doesent get drove hardly at all and today we drove it around and every time we went to take off the engine would bog down and start ticking. i would have to like not keep steady pressure on the pedal ( like play with it a little) and it idles great and does not do that in park while sitting still. im lost and dont know what to do, Would the air/fuel mixture screws need adusted ???? i need help ???

Thanks Brandon
:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Mixture screws are only for idle mixture, little or no affect on other circuits. How about some info, what engine and carb?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
how old is the fuel? this new gas doesnt sit very long before it goes to crap and wont want to run right

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Sounds like your carb accelerator pump may be going bad. They will dry up and get hard and won't seal to the pump bore ,therefore ,no pump .Get in touch with Ted or Ardell at Mountain Man Carbs and run it by him. WP

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Removing the choke plate isn't gonna fix anything. Is that on an electric choke ? It can be adjusted easily enough. And if it doesn't open when the engine is hot, the choke element may need replacing. The comment about the accelerator pump dryin out sounds like a good possibility ..... Sending it to Mountain Man Carbs would be the way to lose all the problems it has right now.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like your carb accelerator pump may be going bad. They will dry up and get hard and won't seal to the pump bore ,therefore ,no pump .Get in touch with Ted or Ardell at Mountain Man Carbs and run it by him. WP

Would i be able to fix the accelerator pump or should a proffessional do it ??

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
"probably one to two months old " "Would i be able to fix the accelerator pump or should a proffessional do it"

IF you're using ethenol, it's breakdown life is about 30-days. Then you start to have problems. Replacing the accelerator pump is not a problem, you just need a GOOD repair kit.:beer:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"probably one to two months old " "Would i be able to fix the accelerator pump or should a proffessional do it"

IF you're using ethenol, it's breakdown life is about 30-days. Then you start to have problems. Replacing the accelerator pump is not a problem, you just need a GOOD repair kit.:beer:
Does it consist of rebuilding the whole carb, or how hard is it ??

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
IMO, once the lid is off, do it right.........sometimes the longest way around is the shortest way around....

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
And, I agree with that. Don't do 1/2 a job when the whole job just takes less than twice the time.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Freak, are you over by Columbus? take it off and bring it to me in Dayton and I will rebuild it for you.
$50 plus kit, you can pick up a kit at any auto parts store. I have rebuilt thousands of them matter of fact I have one off a 72 elky already rebuilt sitting on the shelf.
Let me know
Buzzard

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Great deal, you should jump on that. Once you know your way around the Qjet, they are not hard to work on. Being inexperienced and getting it done for $50 is well worth it. The accel. pump is easy to replace, but there may be other issues with the carb. Go with this deal.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
X2 on contacting Mountain Man Carbs.

How do i get ahold of mountain man carbs ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts