El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 86 El w/305 and a 700R4 tranny Would like to drop a 283 cid into it. Is this possible
and what modifications would be needed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if that being the only draw back I will be willing to use the proper alt and such will the motor mounts match up?

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
All SBC motor mounts are located in the same spot.The accesory mounts might be different, but motor mounts, bellhousings should line right up for you.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the 283 is a good engine but will have a lot less torque than your 305 and none of your accesories will go on. you will have to use headers because the dipstick hole on a 283 is on the driverside and will be covered up buy the stock manifolds and 283 manifolds have 3 bolt flanges compared to the 305s 2. the early 283 manifolds wont clear the frame. the heads will need hardened seats installed to live with todays gas if not already done. as i said earlier a good engine but a poor choice for this era car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I was just trying to get better mpg if possible. I'll keep the 305. While on the subject can I switch the 305 over to fuel injection. If possible what is involved?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,779 Posts
switching to Fuel Injection can get expensive ! Are you still running your stock quadrajet ? You could get it rebuilt by a pro & should get better mpg's !

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,779 Posts
I'm getting great mpg's with my rebuilt quadrajet from Mountain Man Fuel systems !
Great for a little over $200

·
Supporting Member
4,477 Posts
At best you'll gain only 1-2 MPG with FI over a properly running CCC Q-jet. It will take a long time to recover the expense. You can get a well built CCC carb from guaranteed carb, Mountain Man ( Don't know if he does CCC?), Cliff's Performance ( $$$) and others. Expect to pay around $300- +/-. Mileage will depend on your gears and how you drive, but I would expect 17 city and 19-20 Hwy. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts