El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1982 El Camino with a Chevy 350 crate motor. It has about 80,000 miles with a 1 year old 750 carb. Lately, it has been cutting out for a split second then right back on once or twice a day while driving at 50-60 mph. I'm guessing it's either the fuel filter, coil or maybe the fuel pump. I decided to go to you guys, the pro's in my opinion, for any ideas or help on this problem. Thanks in advance!

· Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
Try the fuel filter first. Having an issue with my 82 and I've been told that fuel pump either works or doesn't, not intermittent. Kinda the same with ignition/coil, but not so sure about that one.

Just change out 1 thing at a time so you know whether you found it.

NOW - none of this advice is coming from a pro - :beer:

· Master Wrench
1,593 Posts
do you have a big exhaust leak? i was chasing a similar problem thinking it was a carb problem but it was because my headers were leaking from both collectors and one of the flanges were extrmely loose. when id step on it at high rpm it would rev but wouldn't go lol kinda like it was bogging itself. fixed those leaks and runs great!

· Registered
2,102 Posts
fuel filters dont usually come and go or only once or twice.you can usually reproduce the problem at will because they dont clog and then unclog.i would look at the ignition module or coil as these will get hot and do all sorts of crazy stuff randomly.check your hot to the dist. and all grounds.also check to make sure someone hasnt left the ground strap out of the dist during a cap and rotor change. a friend of mine did that on his elco and it drove him nuts until he called me to look at it for him.pull the coil cover off of the dist and look for burnt wires or discolored coil.if it was a fuel filter it would seem as if running out of gas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.