El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I had a lot of rusty looking liquid in mine. Had the radiator hot tanked and rodded. I asked the guy at the radiator shop what he recommended to flush the system with. His answer, dish soap. Sure made a lot of foam but cleaned it up nicely. He said get the engine up to temp, add the soap and run it a bit. Said that is all they use.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I recently drained the coolant from my EC prior to pulling the engine. Amazing how much rusty gunk was still in it... I had flushed it 2 times after I first purchased it. One of those flushes I used diluted vinegar - man was that a mess!

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
You guys are talking about two different things, engine ( crankcase) and radiator. Which is it ? If it's the engine, I know about some horror stories after having an engine flushed...noisy lifters that wont clear up etc. I don't recommend it...Best fix for a radiator doesn't come from a bottle or can. A radiator shop is the only real way to clean it out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Do not flush the engine if you've never done it kerosene or diesel or tyranny fluid will clean it up real good if you pour about a quart in it at temp and run for a minute but it will ruin old engine and there seals

·
Registered
338 Posts
Don't do it. It will break loose years of carbon and sludge and your engine will leak smoke and knock and tick. It works on new motors if you use it since new but its like flushing a trans with a 100k on it :secret:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i use a quart of tranny fluid in the engine oil to clean up a dirty engine,i have done this for about 40 years and never had one that wasnt doctored up to not smoke have any problems. you can look in one of my old motors with 200,ooo miles and it looks clean as a whistle. it keeps the lifters clean and the seals soft. now just to clarify i put the tranny oil in the last 500 miles or so before the oil change is due. diesel or karoseen i have seen them screw up a soft engine.i will do the deisel before a teardown just to clean it up some and tell me what the engines true condition is. but never drive it with deisel in the oil, just let it idle

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
I remember back in the day, had quite a few customers who requested 4 qts. oil and 1 qt. ATF for their oil change. Do not ever remember any problems.
More recently, the GM dealer I was working at purchased an engine flush machine. They had other car makes (foreign) at other dealerships they owned and they said that the engine oil flushes were selling extremely well, the cost was $100.00 ( I'm sure there was mega profit). When they wanted us to start selling oil flushes, I was a little hesitant. Did some research, and found a bulletin from GM that said NOT to do an engine flush. When I sent this memo upstairs, you can imagine the problems it caused. I'm not saying the dealership never did any oil flushes, but any vehicles and customers I was connected with were steered away from this service. It didn't take long for the Service Advisors to follow suit...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey ElCaminoFreak , I'm like ccc I guess I'm Old School , I have and still do add a quart of dextron tranny fluid to the oil a week before I am going to change the oil ( I drain a quart of oil first ) .... I have done this in all the cars ( lawn mower and power washer ) I have ever owned and NEVER had any seals go out or smoke , NEVER .... now the ONLY time I have had a little puff of some blue smoke is when I would raise the idle up to 2500 -3000 rpm's and pour some dextron tranny fluid down the carb. to clear out the carbon build up in the heads and yes it would clear the carbon seal from around the piston rings and cause a little puff of blue smoke when I would start the engine up in the morning , but that would quit after about a week or so of driving and again never NO problems with any of my engines .... now I have heard stories of this stuff Risone Engine Flush caused some problems , it over cleaned out the engine .... now I use Gumout in the gas to clean the fuel system in my cars , motorcycle , lawn mower and power washer once a month .... just my .02 cents ... Thanks the Geezer:nanawrench:

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
I believe that ATF in the oil wont do any harm, and it might even help the seals. I assume it has considerable detergent in it to keep the engine clean. I'm just not a fan of Riselone & other engine "flush" stuff. One of my friends got talked into doing an engine flush by some local outfit, on his Dodge pickup. Don't know what they used, but after two years now, the lifters are still noisy, and they were OK before that.
Some years ago, I accidently put 5 qts of ATF in my Chevy van, instead of engine oil. Didn't see the mistake for two days, when I emptied the trash can at the shop. The wife had over a hundred miles on it by then. Didn't seem to hurt it any, but I wouldn't recommend 5 quarts of it !:smileyb:

·
Registered
230 Posts
My concern is stopping up the screen on oil pump. I almost lost a motor just due to gunk getting down in oilpan and stoping up screen. Truck still ran but knocked when first started so still drove it for a year before I sold it. Either way it is risky when you start messing around with that biuldup in motor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use ATF in my oil about 2-3 days prior to an oil change. I have a friend that swears by Marvel Mystery Oil before oil changes. Works great, although a little pricey compared to ATF. Never had a problem in any of the vehicles using either. Seafoam is a great product for fuel systems. I use it in all my cars and motorcycles to keep the fuel system clean.
suks2bu37:nanawrench:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I guess my question is "What are you hoping to acheive?"

Doing an engine flush isnt going to "fix" anything, it will not run better it will not make more power. It "may" look a bit cleaner in the crankcase but you would get that same effect if you just changed the oil on a regular basis. The more caustic flush systems could give you problems.

The ATF in the crankcase idea is pretty much harmless IMO, but a single application probably will have negligible effect and again, applying a quart 1 week before an oil change probably isnt doing anything measurable for you either....provided you are changing your oil often enough. If anyone has evidence to the contrary I'd love to read it.

Anecdotal claims are all very fine and well, but I frankly believe you would likely not be able to tell the difference between a motor whose oil is changed at proper intervals and one thats changed at proper intervals and uses an occasional quart of ATF.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts