El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't decied weather to improve the perfomance of my 229 V6 or to build a V8. I need this to be a daily driver and reliable. If I do put in a V8 what size would work best. I want around 400 hp This will be going in my 1980 El Camino.
Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
can't go wrong with a 396, but if you can't find one, a 327 is good and is easy to upgrade/build upon.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everybody also should I put a manuel or automatic transmission

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Putting in an automatic or a manual trans is a decision only you can make. Only you know what you want your car to do and how to perform. If you want to maintain your car in as near as to original, you would probably want to stay with an automatic if that's what's in there now. You can buy a very good automatic trans, capable of handling the torque of a 400 hp engine. If you like to slam gears, then a manual shift trans is the way to go. Keep in mind that finding parts to convert it to a manual is not all that hard, but can be a little difficult and a little expensive, the stock bellhousing being the hardest part to find, and a good 4speed trans being the most expensive part. I have all the parts to convert my auto to a manual. I searched long and hard to find these parts and at the price I paid. You may not be as lucky as I was, and in fact you may be able to get a competition automatic 350 or 400 THD from TCI or B&M at cosiderably less cost than what you will need to convert it to a manual trans (if you buy a new 4 speed manual trans at $1300+ and then tack on the price of a flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, another $350-$500). Then there's the problem with the rearend to consider if you convert to a 400hp engine and a manual trans, the stock rearend in your Elky was not designed to take a lot of abuse, not for long anyway. You would need to change that, it may last for awhile, but not long, especially if you start dumping your clutch at 5500 rpm more then once or twice. It's something that takes a lot of thought. Hope this helps. :) Oh, and and far as your original question goes, yank the 229 and use it as a paper weight or a boat anchor or something. 8)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
What type of transmission do you have in your truck now, a 350C?

You can build a good 350 with decent Hp pretty reasonable. The Vortec heads will deliver up to 400 Ponies unmolested and a bit more if you change the springs up. The Vortec are good heads and are priced really good. A complete set shouldn't cost over $500.00 new. I'd look into getting a new design block that will take factory roller cam and lifters and a one piece rear main seal.

If it is going to be a daily driver then I would suggest an overdrive transmission. 700R4 or the 200R4 then change the gears in the rear end to a 3.73:1 or 3.90:1, 4.10:1. Add a Posy or a Powertrax to the openface that you probably have.

That will get you a little stop light fun and good overall gas economy on the highway. Total cost probably wouldn't be more than $4,000.00 to $5,000.00 complete. Use good parts you could probably do it cheaper but your starting with "basically" nothing. So 4 to 5 grand is not a lot of cost.

Make sure that you know the machine shop's work. Don't get any Tom, Dick or Harry to do the work for you. Do as much as you can yourself. If you get the right block from the right Junk yard you could get by without having to buy new pistons. Just ridge ream, glaze brake and hone check for defects and there you go you're ready.

Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

Hey thanks everybody I planing on going with 350 and putting in a stroker kit, Haven't decided on a manuel or atmatic but it will come down to the price of it. What car could I get a new rearend or should I get it from the aftermaket?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts