El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a stock 305 V8 in a 1986 el camino.

It had to sit for a year in my home town until i could find a place where I could have it. Well when I got it back it ran like a complete pile (would barely run at idle, had to put it into neutral and pump the gas when at a stop light).. pretty embarassing

Since then i have replaced the distributor, cap and rotor, plugs, plug wires. Its performance has actually increased dramatically. However, when I am driving it down the interstate the motor seems to still not be firing on all cylinders or give up a little bit and the tac will bounce all over when it should be at 2.5k.. for example if im running at 70 mph the tac is usually at 2.5 it will bounce up to 3 and can go all the way down to 2. I did notice that when I go down a hill it actually runs really well lol.. its probably nothing though. It will also spit and sputter if I push on the gas hard, it will half assed chug its way to a high speed

I am thinking that I possibly have a leak in my vacuum system possibly? but I really dont now much about that on these engines. If anyone has had this before, I am all ears on input lol. Thanks everyone!

p.s. El Camino ran like a top before I put it in storage

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I would clean the carb first. Ethanol can do a lot of damage in a year. Check all rubber fuel hoses as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is a very valid point.. i have been running a couple cans of seafoam through it on the last two tanks but i dont know if it is doing much. But thanks, Ill start cleaning the carb at some point when I get a day off.

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a vacuum leak. You never mentioned you changed the in-carb filter. That could be a huge issue if you have a Rochester Qjet.:beer:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess carb too. Take the air cleaner off and make sure the carb bolts are all tight.

They are 1/2 inch. Also check the Torx screws that hold the carb together they come loose. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 87 was running rough, not as bad as yours, and we found that it was the choke. The choke needed to be adjusted. The original from the factory will be riveted together. You need to drill out the rivets and replace them with screws and then you can adjust the choke by turning the cover.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
my money is on the carb,this new gas kills the carb when let sit for long periods of time

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey John , I had neck surgery summer before last and my M/C sat up just 3 month in the garage ... when I got permission to drive & ride again my bike ran like crap , could not get up tp 4000 RPM's ... So I put some Gumour High Mileage in a full tank and within a month's riding I was up to 4500 RPM's ... this Gumout worked for me and now I'm up to 5300 RPM's on my bike ... I also run it in my Camino too .... don't put in stuff for fuel injection , it will say either fuel system cleaner or FI ... Hey John , that Sea Foam is OK for lawn mowers , but I also have had good luck using Berrymen's Chemtool in the gas not the carb spray to get any moister out of the fuel if its sitting up for a few weeks , just my .02 cents ..... Thanks the Geezer :nanawrench:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts