El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://youtu.be/XX99gr8mHIE
I have an 84 el camino conquista v6 229. My first issue was that the Fuel filter collapsed because someone had a rubber hose in line and caused a loss of fuel issue.Had road side garage repair it. Next the water pump went so upon replacing that i stripped the threads out on fuel line going to carb,and several people told me that i could not rethread this so i replaced the carb. I have been having issues ever since, engine bog, slow acceration. I had a mechanic adjust the carb,everyone seems to think it is running fine. It has no "get up and go" so to speak.I put pedal to floor and there is a pause, than it gradually...and i mean gradualllllly it picks up speed but extremely slow acceleration. Ive ran it like this for 6 months. now it has developed a "knock" or "tick". fyi: gas tank was replaced also,was leaking because of age.and exhaust was replaced prior to carb replacement.
Ive been told to take the catalytic converter off to see if lack of power issue changes? Im hesitant to do this because of the engine noise issue. also upon running the engine for 5-10 min the hoses are extremely hot, but radiator doesnt seem as hot. I have checked the coolant reservoir, all levels are fine. very frustrated, dont know what to check next.any help would be appreciated.thanks:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
A clogged converter could easily be causing some of your problems. Lots of other problems in older engines could be contributing, like collapsed hoses, a stuck thermostat, bad timing or other distributor problems, etc.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Welcome to NECOA, Joe. Adding the video with your post is a big help. It is not as good as in person but very helpful. Are you sure the power loss and the carb replacement coincide? Could it be that you noticed it about that time? One thing that stands out for me is the exhaust replacement. A small exhaust leak can make a similar sound.

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
I got a bit lost at stripping fuel line fittings with a WP R&R. It does seem that a coolant system check is in order too. Pressure test pressure test pressure test. A stuck thermostat may be hiding in the loop and hindering circulation. A leak would have already got your attention most likely.

:beer:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have a similiar problem in mine. Its gutless. But i have the 4.3 TBI... It really requires a feathering of the peddle to get any power out of it.

and anyway, make sure to have speakers down when you click on the video. I Jumped out of my seat. haha:dontknow:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts