El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just took my newly purchased 81 SS for a full tune up, and later in the day as I was driving the check engine light came on. The motor began to chug a bit, like there wasn't enough gas. I pulled over, let it sit for a minute, and it's been running fine since and the engine light hasn't come back on.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mqtt

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Also, Check that all of your vacuum lines are connected and in good repair. It's amazing what can get knocked off with something as simple as a tune-up. As I discovered on mine, some of those hoses can get real brittle and crack....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re

thanks again.

i noticed a little smoke coming from the lip of a silver slinky-type hose that runs up to the chute of the carb/filter housing...could that be it? there's no visible clamp...it looks like it's just pushed on.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Re: re

Matt said:
i noticed a little smoke coming from the lip of a silver slinky-type hose that runs up to the chute of the carb/filter housing...could that be it? there's no visible clamp...it looks like it's just pushed on.
No, that's the heat riser tube. It's goes from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the air cleaner.

The vacuum lines Peter is talking about will be small black rubber hoses around the carburetor.

:mrgreen:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts