El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
the red tubes looked to be your heater core lines. All the black little ones on top are primarily vacuum lines. The big black ones up top go from the A/C compressor to the cooling coil for the A/C. There's also fuel lines somewhere up top that are a little bigger than most of the vacuum lines but smaller than the coolant lines. My elco makes a similar noise and I blame it on the belt. Can't say for certain thats what it is though. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one. The wires are most likely old repairs/replacements. Most people don't remove the old wires when they fix stuff. Test them with a test light to see if their hot then go from there. If you take some good pics of their colors and where they come from we may be able to help more identifying them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ive got an 87 with a 305, Edelbrock carb and HEI ignition and its had a noise for the past several years Ive yet to figure out. Its not really noticible at a cold idle, but when driven right after a cold start it has a noticeable light knocking or pecking. The noise goes away after engine warms up. Piston slap or cracked flexplate(its been checked) have been suggested but I cant tell. Guess Ill run it til it croaks and then it will be time for a 350 crate install :nanawrench:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts