El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 79 el camino, i have a 350 in it. i just put a super charger on and and have been monitoring the temp, it was doing great untill the weather started to get warmer, i now sometimes am pushing temps close to 250. still seems to run fine, but i will be taking it to a car show a little further away and am a little concerned about how it will do in the hot weather.

thinking about putting and engine oil cooler on it. what do you think about this? how large or one do you think ill need, and any suggestions on brands??

thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have looked at summit and talked with them a little, they say earls are a good one to go with, im just trying to figure at this point i guess what size to go with.

·
Registered
757 Posts
definitely get the oil cooler, aside from that though check out some purple ice. Made by royal purple. Both times ive used before and after my coolant flush ive noticed a 3-5 degree drop in temp. Id put 2 of them into your overflow if your gonna add it. Check it out. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BRGAJ2?pc_redir=1408078446&robot_redir=1[/ame]

·
Premium Member
12,546 Posts
I don't know to what degree but my oil filter relocater helps to cool the oil also. You'd be surprised how hot the filter and lines get even at 190 degree water temp?:dontknow:
Donny

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
Yup, Oil is a COOLANT just as much as it is a coolant. Don't believe it,, take it away and the bearing surfaces get hot enough to turn the cast iron it's bedded in (rod or main saddle) to a dark, burned BLUE!

Just be CAUTIOUS of the plumbing routing the oil to the cooler and back. A restriction here is a restriction in the flow of oil to the bearings.

If your seeing oil temps of 250,, no sweat, In fact oil temps 40-60 degrees hotter than the coolant is 'typical'

But I bet that's water temp correct? If so I'm going to say is just a mater of time before you have a cracked casting, warped heads and blown gaskets. 250 is simply TOO HOT. Check the gauge, make sure it's giving a true temp,, then I'd start to worry.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Once you go to forced induction of any kind, oil coolers are almost mandatory.

I would put an oil temp gauge in...oil temp will be hotter than coolant because of it's viscosity retaining more heat...a good rule of thumb is that Oil at the Bearing runs about 50 degrees hotter than at the gauge.....So, if your coolant hit 250F the oil is at least 300F...add another 50 Degrees at the bearing and you better be running full synthetic oil just for operating temp! Petroleum oil breaks down at about 300F....And change that synthetic at 3,000 miles, yes it still lubricates, but it still gets dirty and builds up acids!

I have an electric fan/cooler from Perma-cool on my Th-400 mounted where the charcoal canister was, and have a larger electric one for the engine oil from Flexalite still to mount...the great part about the electrics is that they mount anywhere and don't restrict the radiator!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts