El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What engine oil should I be using in the winter right now Im using Chevron 20W-50 also with Lucas oil stabilizer, the engine starts knocking until it warms I think it's the oil thickness? I haven't changed the oil for along time maybe it's a stuck lifter

·
Director Region 13 (TX) Emeritus
602 Posts
Why are you using such high viscosity oil? Are you thinking because your engine is high mileage that you need to use 20-50. where you live you should be fine with a 10-30 or 10-40 without the oil stabilizer. Harald K

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I really really recomend chaning to 10W30 on ur engine sometime very soon...You dont need to run such a thick oil for a new engine and expecially in California. To my knowledge or just common sense a thicker oil like that can cause wear and failure to your bearings.....The problem your having is that the oil has not been fully brought up to the lifters and ur rocker arms so the tapping or knocking ur talking about is oil not present so its not getting lubrication......If you havent already check the backlash on your valves or re-adjust them. The backlash on a chevy engine should be 0 correct? Not sure! But it could be a loose lifter and it knocking. Those are my 2 cents.

-Anduh

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you have forged pistons some "slap" is normal until the engine warms up. Piston slap when cold can occur with cast pistons also if the clearances are too loose. Were bearing clearances checked? I ask because I've seen guys use standard bearings on a ground crank. If it's not too loose the knock goes away once the parts warm up and expand.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Snaggle is right, I ruined a v-6 turbo monte carlo with 20w50, the front main spun. Months later I read an article from Valvoline explaining how pumpability of oil at engine startup was critical.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
In a word --yes that would be better for a street engine----Dan

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
just a question....why 10w40? 10w30 would be fine for a street machine and winter driving....All my family vehicles use it besides my mom and dads new buck and silverado 1500.

-Anduh

·
Registered
103 Posts
any good oil

Buy good 10w30 or even 5w30 oil. I'm in Ohio so my street car oil change for the winter is 5w30, but my muscle cars and my race car are 10w40 for the summer.

Tazz

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: any good oil

tm53chev said:
Buy good 10w30 or even 5w30 oil. I'm in Ohio so my street car oil change for the winter is 5w30, but my muscle cars and my race car are 10w40 for the summer.

Tazz
eehhhhhh 5w30 is a little thin for a v8 unless its a newer engine and the 4cylinders expecially. My own opinion at least.

-Anduh

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Actually the viscosity of the oil remains fairly constant----the rating are for cold and hot so it acts like the lower number when the engine is cold and needs thin oil to get moving and as trhe engine heats it acts more like the higher number----just for information put a quart in the fridge and after it is cool check the thickness then sit it in a pot of boiling water and check it you will find it to be close to the same...............Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
I run 5w-30 in all my v8's.
The difference between 5w and 10w is how it reacts at colder temps. If you dip below freezing and park outside definately use 5w.

·
Registered
130 Posts
:cool: Everyone is correct use w10/30 or even w5/30 if you keep it you motor will be good just for a boat anchor and that is sad when you just rebuilt it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
How about maybe using too much asembly lube? I dont think i used too much but was a little unsure. And i also soaked the tops of my pistons in 20w-50 before i put them in the holes. But i will use 10W-30 upon break in. I am a little nervous about starting it aup and breaking in the cam. Woried that someting will go wrong and flatten a lobe!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Should I be changing as well?

If everything yall said is true, then will 10-W30 be alright for my V8 305 that's been beat to ****? Or should I be looking at changing my oil weight as well? BTW it's just turning summer here (well everywhere), so the temperatures are about to be above 100F every day. Not to mention that SCAR! is my daily chariot...

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
If Old Scar has been run hard and put away hot I would use 20W-50 to keep the oil pressure up; might not make any difference but the peace-of-mind of having an oil pressure reading at hot idle.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hmm, from what I understand don't you use 10w40 for large 6cyls and v8's and 10w30 for 4cyls and smaller 6cyls?

I've also heard of people using 10w30 in the winter when oil tends to be thick and sludgy and 10w40 in the summer when the extra engine heat can cause oil to be thinner.

nonetheless most average cars use one or the other, not that thick stuff
:-?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've always used 10w40 in the summer and 10w30 in the winter though 10w40 never gave me much trouble in the winter when I didn't bother to switch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts