El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1976 Chevy El Camino 5.7l 350sbc 4bl
8 Posts
Ok so I'm finally rebuilding and putting the love into my own El Co. '76 Limited edition El Camino with the 350SBC 5.7l in it and I was wondering the same. I live in Vegas so it's always balls ass hot here. I used 10w30 in my stepside and it was running a 350 pulled from a '69 El Co so I figured it would be fine to run the same as I did In my stepside. Safe to say that 10w30 would be fine to run in it...? I'm literally in the middle of tearing down the motor to deep clean it inside and out. It's been sitting for 5 years and like someone else had mentioned, the gaskets are rock hard and leaked everywhere from baking in the heat of Las Vicious forever. I had it towed to my moms pad in cali in Lake Isabella where it sat for 2 years while I finished up a sentence for some stupid crap I did as a kid. Otherwise I'd have lost it. The motor was so dirty on the outside and I had to rebuild the carb on it and when I was doing that I noticed it was just as dirty inside as it looked outside. I didn't even know the block was blue until the other day when I started degunking the outer portion of the engine block and heads. So my question is this: even after the cleaning and rebuild, is 10w30 still the best thing to run oilwise...? I'll try to post multiple photos of the dirty ass motor as well as the beast herself..I'm having too much fun doing all of this by myself so don't mind me and my ridiculous lean-to driveway-workshop haha. I'll get a couple pictures of the motor once I have it cleaned up a little better as well.
IMG_20210430_102317414.jpg
IMG_20210427_005541019.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
For that heat, I'd run 10W-40 or maybe 20W-50 after break in. I like Shell Rotella T6 for diesel engines because it still has some ZDDP anti wear metals for protection and a good detergent set of additives for cleaning.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
For that heat, I'd run 10W-40 or maybe 20W-50 after break in. I like Shell Rotella T6 for diesel engines because it still has some ZDDP anti wear metals for protection and a good detergent set of additives for cleaning.

Rick
I've heard of running Rotella but have never seen any "official" write-up on it as to why. I know they make Rotella for gas engines but.....
do you know of a reference source on that , Rick?

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
I think it might be referenced at "BTOG". Bob The Oil Guy web site. I will look later tonight.

Fascinating web site.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

21 - 26 of 26 Posts