El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a problem with 305 over cooling. Temp guage on dash reads about 120. Pulled the thermostat and checked it on the stove and it was fully open at 130. It's a 180 thermostat. So I went down and bought a new one with the same results. Didn't check the new one on the stove. Checked the water temp at the radiator cap and it was 140. Would this temp be accurate at the radiator top and my dash guage is just wrong? It is a mechanical guage.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
It is possible your guage is faulty, but most thermostasts sold are now from guess where.. China. I bought two that were faulty before I found a good one. Insist on an American made one.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thermostat

Bought a stant thermostat. Box said made in USA. Maybe just the box was made in USA. They had ones for $4, $7, and $10. I bought the $10. I just ordered a new temp guage, this one electric. If it reads the same then I don't know what the problem is.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
I BOUGHT A FAIL SAFE IT WORKS FINE. I SPENT OVER $300 CHASING MY TAIL WITH THERMOSTATS 3-IN A ROW JUNK.BUT ALL MY PARTS ARE NEW.:poke:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have a problem with 305 over cooling. Temp guage on dash reads about 120. Pulled the thermostat and checked it on the stove and it was fully open at 130. It's a 180 thermostat. So I went down and bought a new one with the same results. Didn't check the new one on the stove. Checked the water temp at the radiator cap and it was 140. Would this temp be accurate at the radiator top and my dash guage is just wrong? It is a mechanical guage.
What's the temp outside?

·
Registered
555 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thermostat

Everything on the engine is the way it came from the factory except for adding guages. Stock fan etc. The sensor is located right next to the thermostat housing. It almost has to be the gauge ???

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Does your guage move at all as the car warms up or is it stuck? It's unlikely that the motor is not properly warming up. Even without a thermostat it should get too hot to stick your finger in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gauge reading

Bottom reading on the gauge is 100 - it moves up to about 120. I wasn't sure if a thermometer reading of 145 in the radiator would indicate a possible regular reading of 180 at the thermostat

·
Registered
571 Posts
keep in mind that a seding unit can and will go bad also.I hasd one replaced and temp was always running 120-130.....found the sending unit was not matched to the gauge .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sending unit

The gauge I have is a mechanical gauge so it really doesn't have a sending unit. Anyway thanks to everyone for responding. I've ordered a new gauge and I'll put it in and see what I get. If it doesn't help I'll be back on with more questions.
Thanks

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
You might to "eyeball" the sending unit. Remove it and make sure is not all gunked up and crusty. Make sure the thermostat area is also spotless. This eay your new guage has a better chance of recieving correct input.:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Just a minor point (maybe). The temp sending unit on the 305 is on the left head, under the exahust manifold. Has yours been moved, or has an after-market unit been installed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sending unit

It is an after market gauge but the sensor is installed where the idiot light sensor was. The engine came from an 82 Z28 camaro (don't know if that makes a difference on where the original placement was). The engine ran at 180 degrees till a month ago.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Get one of the infra red remote hand held temperature sensors and compare your readings. I wish I had your problem. I have always been plagued with overheating issues. The last thing I did was pull the plugs out of both sides of the block and back flushed it thru the water pump holes after I removed the pump. It seems to be doing better, hasn't got over two thirty since then. I was running two forty to two sixty before that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I once had a 82 silverado with the 6 cyl and put in a new radiator and thermostat. At the time i was driving 35 miles to work 1 way and never would reach 130 degrees . went on a trip of about 100 miles 1 way and low and behold every thing started working right. i don"t know

1 - 20 of 20 Posts