El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I have said before through the generosity of 3 of our members I now have a replacement motor for my tired 305 in my Elky. My plan if and when I ever replaced my 305 was to paint the replacement motor Chevy orange. Since my Elky is a 84 and a original V6 car the motor was Cooperate Blue, which I never liked, my now 305 is a 86 which was Chevy Black and that is what I repainted it 15 years a ago when I put it in. I believe all cast iron small blocks where Black after 85 ? I think Chevy Orange stopped in 77? So I did mention in one of my previous post I wanted my replacement motor to be Chevy Orange and one of our members replied I should make it black to make it look more like the "Factory" 305? That set me off thinking again, do I what to keep it looking like a factory original 305 car. My other dilemma was the factory air, it's all complete and still hooked up but has never worked. I do have a factory heat only box out of my 79 that I have wanted to install to clean up the engine bay. I know it's never going to look like the engine bays of the 60s unless you start from scratch but I think if the engine was at least Chevy orange it would stand out more the then the black that just kind of disappears in the engine bay !

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
So as I have said before through the generosity of 3 of our members I now have a replacement motor for my tired 305 in my Elky. My plan if and when I ever replaced my 305 was to paint the replacement motor Chevy orange. Since my Elky is a 84 and a original V6 car the motor was Cooperate Blue, which I never liked, my now 305 is a 86 which was Chevy Black and that is what I repainted it 15 years a ago when I put it in. I believe all cast iron small blocks where Black after 85 ? I think Chevy Orange stopped in 77? So I did mention in one of my previous post I wanted my replacement motor to be Chevy Orange and one of our members replied I should make it black to make it look more like the "Factory" 305? That set me off thinking again, do I what to keep it looking like a factory original 305 car. My other dilemma was the factory air, it's all complete and still hooked up but has never worked. I do have a factory heat only box out of my 79 that I have wanted to install to clean up the engine bay. I know it's never going to look like the engine bays of the 60s unless you start from scratch but I think if the engine was at least Chevy orange it would stand out more the then the black that just kind of disappears in the engine bay !
I just went with the black on mine since it came that way. I had planned to paint my LS swapped Fox body motor Ford blue but it came back from my machine shop already painted black so I got lazy and went with it.

The way I see it go for whatever makes you happy! It's your motor! Old school orange is always cool.

Joe

·
Registered
87 Caballero Amarillo, original 305/200-4R, QJ
1,139 Posts
Any color you want. GM has used a bunch of colors over the years, GM Blue, Chevy Blue, Corporate Blue, Green, Gray, Black, Chevy Orange, Red, Red-Orange. I'd pick something that goes with/doesn't clash with the color of the car. So if the car is dark blue, could go any of the blues or red, or gray, if the car is brown go orange/red-orange etc.

Accessories make a difference too, I'd personally not use Chevy Orange in a blue car if everything from intake to water pump to head covers was also Orange. Black would be fine if the accessories were all silver, unpainted, chrome etc.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had thought about just being different and painting the engine I'm building for mine white (she's driven but not daily) I had also played with the idea of yellow like some of the 50s Bel-Airs (I believe)

I'll probably just go back to Chevy orange to be honest, or color match when I repaint the car. But as everyone has said it's your car add your own personal touch...make it purple if you want.

·
Registered
1979 Chevy El Camino - purchased 1/29/2022 - V8 engine option not yet known - TH350 transmission
39 Posts
I personally never liked black on engines. If it springs any leaks, I want to be able to see it quickly.

Make the choice that will make you smile every time you open the hood.

My $0.02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts