El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have an edlebrock 600 carb, its been rebuilt and cleaned and taken in to a shop for the jets to be adjusted along with the distributor timed. Drove fine for awhile even a few hours in the bush to go camping and back drove just fine lots of power. Now it won't idle, it starts but then dies right away, my step-dad adjusted the jets a bit to idle but it is soo rough it shakes the hole car. My step-dad thinks it is a carb issue and we need a new one but i am open to ideas. Almost feels as though it is out of gas but you can clearly see gas in the fuel filter.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,947 Posts
Time to get a Mountain Man Quadrajet !! Like the one I got !!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my step-dad thinks its time for a new carb too, do ya think that will solve the issue? if so is mountain man a good carb to get? a holly 650 quadrajet might be good also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i phoned a machanic shop and they said it could be the fuel pump and in an 82 it could be in the engine near the water pump on the block so il have to check it out.

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
X2 mountain carbs in Arkansas

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I have an edlebrock 1806AVS thunder series 650 cfm on my 350/290 crate motor. According to edelbrock tech support the original fuel pump puts out too much psi. Original pumps are around 7-8 psi and edelbrock carbs only need about 5psi. So you can either add a regulator or swap out the fuel pump. I put an edelbrock 1721 fuel pump in mine.

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
It sounds like you may just have a piece of debris in an idle circuit. Take it back to the guys that re-built it and let them check it out.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Mountain man has done several Qjets for my shop customers and they are always perfect right out of the box !!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the replies guys, may just end up changing out the fuel pump after getting some more advice as for the carb we rebuilt it ourselves and think we did a good job as for we know. If the fuel pump doesn't work be replacing its time for a new carb :p my dad has a 650 holly quadrajet on his 86" buick i am thinking that might be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
My bet would be some dirt in the bowls of the Edelbrock. Really easy to check on and clean out. The fact that it was running fine, but isn't after some rough roading, is the clue.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
A spread-bore Q-jet isn't going to fit the square-bore manifold your Edelbrock is on. When you rebuilt the carb, did you blow all the passages out with compressed air ? Might be some debris floating around in the bowl, getting into passages etc, like 464elky mentioned. Sometimes when a fuel line is undone from a carb, it loosens "stuff" in the fuel line & fittings when disturbed, which will end up in the float bowl.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My step-dad and i are going to take the top off the carb and check it but as far as dirt, we blocked all the hoses and manifold off with rags and cleaned the carb. if thats not the issue could it be the fuel pump?

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
If the car runs fine at higher RPM the pump is giving it plenty of fuel. It uses less fuel at idle than at any other time. Since you re-built it yourself try taking the idle mixture screws out and blowing through the holes, then re-install the adjustment screws and see what it does. Just cleaning out the bowl won't clean the debris out of a passage somewhere.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So i have an edlebrock 600 carb, its been rebuilt and cleaned and taken in to a shop for the jets to be adjusted along with the distributor timed. Drove fine for awhile even a few hours in the bush to go camping and back drove just fine lots of power. Now it won't idle, it starts but then dies right away, my step-dad adjusted the jets a bit to idle but it is soo rough it shakes the hole car. My step-dad thinks it is a carb issue and we need a new one but i am open to ideas. Almost feels as though it is out of gas but you can clearly see gas in the fuel filter.
After three Edlebrock carbs, I've never used another one. I could never get it to run the way I wanted. You should consider a Holley double pumper, Great Carb. If you end up replacing the carb, I think you would be very happy with one.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Carb

If the shop adjusted the timing, did you check the distributor making sure the bolt is snug?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
After three Edlebrock carbs, I've never used another one. I could never get it to run the way I wanted. You should consider a Holley double pumper, Great Carb. If you end up replacing the carb, I think you would be very happy with one.
And the only Holley I ever tried to use made my life miserable for two months. I took it off, gave it away, put on an Edelbrock, and it ran great right out of the box. Continues to run that way today, 11 years later. Every one I've installed (and I've done several; I've had guys come to my house in the morning with a hot rod that couldn't get out of its own way and leave with a real hot rod) has been a major improvement, and I don't know of any of them that aren't still running today.

Funny how experiences can vary, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
As mentioned, if you go to a q-jet and don't have a spread bore intake manifold you'll need one. An Edlebrock Performer (or q-jet Performer) will work just fine (made in USA). If you use a Holley q-jet, use a 1" spacer between the carb/intake. Keeps from boiling the gas/alcohol out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the replies. We did install a spacer and that solved our other fuel boiling issue and we never had issues after installing the spacer, cleaning and rebuilding the carb. The issue only started the other day, it drives fine but won't stay idle. The shop did a good job as far as we know for timing the distributor but i will show my step-dad some of the replies and see what he thinks. thanks guys.

·
ZERO MPG
15,368 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
If it was running fine, but isn't now, there are only a few things that can be wrong. You shook some dirt loose in the carb, you clogged a filter, your timing changed (distributor might have moved), or you have a loose wire.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts