El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 87 el camino first started having a rough idle then upon acceleration kind of a misfire. when on the freeway started to hear backfire-ish sounds and lost power then wouldnt start. started looking at fuel problems carburetor is getting gas, then checked for spark have that then checked to see if timing belt is loose and that is fine, has gas and starter plus battery fine so have no clue what to check after that. PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no timing chain is fine checked it on my distributor and no check engine light at all even tried to read the codes and said everything normal

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i wanna say a year ago no more then 2 and i checked the carb it is spraying fuel so no clogs to the carb

·
Registered
603 Posts
Runnin' lean maybe? Check for vacuum leaks?

·
0 Posts
Ive had bad gas in the pass few months and I posted a vid on here. It even smells funny. How did you check spark if it wont crank? Can you make a video and post it here so we can see and hear whats going on?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
plugs are less then a year old, no rain recently in california and filled up in between the problem with same gas i always use, checked the spark with a screwdriver to the frame from #1 cylinder spark plug wire, haven't checked for vacuum leak but would that cause a backfire sound and a rough drive.

at first it felt like a misfire then would suddenly lose power and then regain power kinda like a transmission slip and occasional backfire under 50 mph then right when i hit the freeway less then a mile it started popping a lot and lost total power every time i tried the gas it would pop then died. hasn't started since

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats what i was thinking but nothing turns over no start no backfire. to check the timing chain i rotated the pully connected to the camshaft/waterpump all that to check the play between the timing chain and rotor and seemed like no play and rotor did move when i did that so im assuming its good. any other way to check that and when i did check for spark it seemed like it was sparking in all cylinders as there was a delay in the #1 spark plug. like it went all the way around

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and no my cat clogged 6 months ago got a new one on new distributor less then 2 years new fuel filter new cooling system new spark plugs same wires whole new exhaust what a puzzle this is

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i checked the rotor when i checked the timing chain for play by rotating the camshaft pulley/water pump to see if the rotor moved with it and to see if there was any play and the rotor seemed fine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts