El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you out there have any experience with the engine rebuild kits that are floating around? I have a 305 and saw suddenly on E-bay a 305 Engine master rebuild kit. It was around $300 and was brand named engine tech. Did a little searching and found their website here. So my questions is does anyone have experience with engine build kits or specifically this brand. Any thing you can tell me about them like what brand is best what the quality is for engine tech or what a better quality brand is out there. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Check NorthernAuto.com they have the best price on the 350`s and the 305 kit you need well they have it as well, you can get upgrades , rings, pistons ect,, camshaft,, engine tech is in the middle ground IMO,, I still put engines together and I have used engine tech with good results,, but with any kit you can get better parts along with the cost,,, Matty man

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What would be high ground in your opinion? Cause I don't want to land with something that cuts corners or go through the whole "you get what you pay for" bad luck. :secret:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks for all the help it is very much appreciated. Also glad to see I'm not the only region 8 up late. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
555 Posts
What would be high ground in your opinion? Cause I don't want to land with something that cuts corners or go through the whole "you get what you pay for" bad luck. :secret:
Because you don't want to "cut corners" I gotta ask. You only want to freshin up your motor right and not rebuild it?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
have your rebuilder supply the kit to avoid any warranty issues. i use engine tech with no complaints to date.for a stock rebuild there as good as factory stuff. if the kit doesnt include a crank or rods 300 is a little high

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm planning on having it rebuilt.
Ok, then the $300.00 "rebuild kit" isnt gonna cut it. You're gonna need new pistons and hopefully your rods and crank are good so your crank can be under-cut for oversized bearings. This is a good time to replace the camshaft with something that has a little more performance (If you want to).

Those $300.00 "rebuild kits" do nothing more than replace pretty much bearings and gaskets.

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,086 Posts
I'm planning on having it rebuilt.
If you mean you are going to give the engine to someone and get a completely rebuilt engine back, then let the rebuilder buy the parts, but confer with him as to what it needs and the brands of what he is using. Last time I asked around here to have one done that way, prices quoted were in the $3000 to $3500 range

If you are going to pull it apart yourself, bring the crank, block, heads etc to a machine shop, let them check it out and do the machine work. From there you can buy a rebuild kit, usually some of the places like Jegs or Summit will have some kits (rings, bearings, timing chain/gear, seal kit, etc...) that are good brand stuff and reasonably priced. If this is a basic "freshen up" I would expect to spend $1000 to $1500 on machine work (minimum) and $600 to $800 on a rebuild kit. If you start adding boring the cylinders, decking, align boring, that's where you start to spend some $$$$ and the new parts the start to add up $$$ there as well.

Last motor I did was my IROC 305 (currently in my '87 Choo Choo), it was a very clean, nice motor. Nothing fancy needed to be done (basic bottom end freshen up with rings and bearings, new cam bearings) but I did change the heads out for ZZ4 aluminum ones with the approrpiate ZZ4 cam. Overall I spent about $2000.

Last time I did a boring was on a SBC 400. All the basic new stuff with decking and align bore, ran over $4500.

Just my $.02 here! :)

Bruce

1 - 10 of 10 Posts