El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a problem with my 80 elc. The engine rotates but won't start. There is no spark. I have brand new spark plugs, alternator, & battery. Someone told me its my timing that's off but I don't want to pay someone to do that if it's not the problem. Does anyone know what the issue is? It's not the original engine it's a v8, pretty sure a 350. I don't have a whole lot of money to put in to. Any suggestions?

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
Were you doing anything to it prior to this? It could be a few different things,like bad coil, loose wire at distributor, or even a bad rotor, or dist. cap. all of which are not too expensive. It doesn't sound like timing to me. Keep it simple, and start with the small stuff. Good luck.

Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My brother put the alternator in and it started right up. He cleaned up some wires under my dash because it was like a rats nets, but he said they were like speaker wire and junk. Someone said I might need a ignition switch on my steering column or something. I dot know what that is. I thought it didn't make sense my timing could just go bad out of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
Not your timing. The distributor has to be loose and turned to change or adjust timing. Most people who don't know zip always say it's the timing :dontknow:
The module in the distributor is suspect, along with the coil, like mentioned above. Both are easy enough to replace. A simple manual like a Haynes would help with that, but they are limited on most involved type repairs.

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
My problem ended up being the control module under the dist. cap on my 87. Couldn't get any spark replaced it and it started right up.:dontknow:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanks. I'm having someone look at it tomorrow. Hopefully they figure out the problem, its sad watching my car sit in my driveway. Haha

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ya that's what I was thinking too. If it was a important wire that was cut is it hard to fix?
I would suggest getting a test light out and testing the big red (sometimes pink) wire snapped into the HEI distributor for power. The power wire at the HEI cap (if stock) will be a whitish gray with a fin or bump on the backside of the connector. This bump/fin prevents the power connector from being accidentally plugged into the adjacent slot for the tachometer. The power connector should be hot when the ignition switch is on or when cranking the starter, Test the HEI power wire and let us know what is the situation.

See attached picture of the tach connector (left) and on the right, the HEI power connector (please note this is the stock configuration and out in the real world you will often see the power being supplied with the brown connector with no fin because the connector was replaced at some point).

In addition, I have included a picture of an HEI power connector installed in the distributor using an aftermarket connector. You will notice the power wire is NOT tied into the appropriate wire. This picture is not from an el Camino and, thus, your harness wire will be different colors and configuration.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts